Help! I cracked the trunk while wiring.

LeoB

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I cracked the trunk of my nana juniper while trying to put a bend in it. I’d say it looks like a hairline crack about a quarter of the trunk thickness. Any chance on it surviving?

Attachments

• IMG_0414.jpeg
    IMG_0414.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0415.jpeg
    IMG_0415.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0416.jpeg
    IMG_0416.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 103
Ugh. Bad kiss ands bad things of the year to bend.

In my experience Juniper wood has a really hard time healing larger cracks.

Maybe someone else has better success?

Best
DSD sends

I think it's probably the bark that cracked and not the wood itself.
A piece of tape or a literal bandaid might be good to paste the two parts close together, enough so any callus tissue will connect the two.

It's not a death sentence, but if the damage runs deep, expect some branches to drop.
Do not under any circumstance, try to bend it back. It will crack on the opposing side and that's not what you want.

Next time, pick a better time to do heavy bends :-)
We've all been there!

I think it's probably the bark that cracked and not the wood itself.
A piece of tape or a literal bandaid might be good to paste the two parts close together, enough so any callus tissue will connect the two.

It's not a death sentence, but if the damage runs deep, expect some branches to drop.
Do not under any circumstance, try to bend it back. It will crack on the opposing side and that's not what you want.

Next time, pick a better time to do heavy bends :)
We've all been there!
Thanks I have since wrapped it in some medical tape I had lying around to keep it at least put together. I was afraid of bending it back for that reason of cracking the other way. This is the first time I’ve cracked a trunk. 😅

It will survive, just don't move that section of the trunk anymore so that it can heal over.

Please take the time to learn the proper technique and timing for bending large trunks/branches.

This is the wrong time of year to do such a bend in your area, fall is best.

This trunk should have been supported with a heavy wire along the trunk inside the bend to come, wrapped in raffia then wire coiled on top of that to do this bend.

I cracked the trunk of my nana juniper while trying to put a bend in it. I’d say it looks like a hairline crack about a quarter of the trunk thickness. Any chance on it surviving?
I don't think you'll have any problems. Splits in the trunk/bark along the grain are almost no problem at all. Breaks like yours aren't as favorable, but this seems miniscule. Its possible you may lose some branching in the immediate vicinity above the crack, but further up the tree will take care of it. Honestly, I'd go ahead and move it into the position you were trying to get it to and then seal over it w/ putty after making sure it was mostly immobilized.

It will be fine as long as you leave it alone. I have cracked mine a couple of times at the crotch between branches and it usually heals in a single growing season.

This trunk should have been supported with a heavy wire along the trunk inside the bend to come, wrapped in raffia then wire coiled on top of that to do this bend.
Not sure how much bend was wanted but it looks relatively minor bending from here. Raffia and wire is needed when making more extreme bends but not required for gentle bends in flexible species. Juniper are definitely in the flexible species category. I don't think I would have gone to the wrap for this tree unless I wanted to tie it into knots but maybe seing it live would make me think again.
I've found that letting the tree dehydrate a little before bending makes a big difference in flexibility. A well watered tree tends to be harder to bend and more prone to cracking. I can bend a drier tree almost twice as much as a well watered one with far less damage.

Agree that time of year can be a thing when bending juniper. For years I managed to get away with spring bending with very few problems but then had a series of die back problems related to bark separation. In the active growing season the cambium is active so bark is not attached well. Bending at that time can disrupt sap flow and cause sections to die. I have now heeded the warnings and bend junipers only later in summer through to winter.

Small cracks like this one will usually heal over easily, provided the damage is not more extensive under the bark due to time of year. I've seen much larger cracks heal fully with no damage to the trunk above.

I think cracking a few branches and trunks is part of the learning curve - getting to know the limitations of different techniques and different species and the feel for when you are almost there but still safe.

Not sure how much bend was wanted but it looks relatively minor bending from here. Raffia and wire is needed when making more extreme bends but not required for gentle bends in flexible species. Juniper are definitely in the flexible species category. I don't think I would have gone to the wrap for this tree unless I wanted to tie it into knots but maybe seing it live would make me think again.
I've found that letting the tree dehydrate a little before bending makes a big difference in flexibility. A well watered tree tends to be harder to bend and more prone to cracking. I can bend a drier tree almost twice as much as a well watered one with far less damage.

Agree that time of year can be a thing when bending juniper. For years I managed to get away with spring bending with very few problems but then had a series of die back problems related to bark separation. In the active growing season the cambium is active so bark is not attached well. Bending at that time can disrupt sap flow and cause sections to die. I have now heeded the warnings and bend junipers only later in summer through to winter.

Small cracks like this one will usually heal over easily, provided the damage is not more extensive under the bark due to time of year. I've seen much larger cracks heal fully with no damage to the trunk above.

I think cracking a few branches and trunks is part of the learning curve - getting to know the limitations of different techniques and different species and the feel for when you are almost there but still safe.

The fact that the trunk cracked, suggests the bend needed more support than it had.

I agree junipers are highly flexible up to a point. At the size of this trunk, it's harder to bend.

Yes it's part of the learning curve and we have all done it. A little knowledge beforehand can always help though.

This has happened to me but near the top/apex. If deep enough, you lose what is above and at the level of the break, shortening the tree. If it happens, use the shortened height to your advantage and the tree. You can place cut paste at the open break site to seal and offer micro nutrients and use anything else (as others mentioned) to hold the break in place and prevent further injury. The internal fibers will reconnect over time and tree will recover.

In my case, a small break occurred high in a primary branch that become the new leader and terminal top end of the trunk:
IMG_6704.jpeg

In Autumn, internal traffic of fluids slows down and swelling slows down, making the Fall an optimal season to perform major bends and chops with less risk of traumatic/detriment snaps and breaks. Raffia and doubled wire are safe if you feel unsure and cautious.

I had gotten a juniper from local bonsai club and tried to start bending a branch. I was surprised when I heard a crack but didn’t really see a true break. I believe it was bark separating from branch. I ended up taking wire off and not doing anything to tree. I see some discoloration in branch now so assume bark did loosen and that branch will probably die. While not dead definitely looking more dry.

I had gotten a juniper from local bonsai club and tried to start bending a branch. I was surprised when I heard a crack but didn’t really see a true break. I believe it was bark separating from branch. I ended up taking wire off and not doing anything to tree. I see some discoloration in branch now so assume bark did loosen and that branch will probably die. While not dead definitely looking more dry.
Jin that sucker out then and make it a nice deadwood feature. Nature and the elements were simply too much for that branch 😅

Every tree has a story!

Back
Top Bottom