Help. How to I cut this one back?

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey everyone. The other day I picked up this juniper. I believe it's a shimpaku. Being new to bonsai I'm not sure how to cut these back. I know you normally cut off the long leggy growth but this tree is mainly long shoots with leggy growth. And all the foliage is all the way down on the end of the shoot. Can someone explain to me how do I go about cutting this one back? If your going to make jerk comments please don't reply. This is my first species of juniper. Thanks everyone for taking a look for me. Have a good day.

Attachments

• IMG_20170421_123843.jpg
    IMG_20170421_123843.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20170423_105526.jpg
    IMG_20170423_105526.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 106

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First of all, it doesn't look healthy. Probably needs more sun. Might have spider mites. Probably needs better soil.

Take care of those issues first.

Junipers cannot be cut back beyond the green foliage. If you do, that branch is dead. If you want to shorten a Juniper branch, you have to get it to back bud, and the new growth needs to get strong, and then you can cut back to it.

How do you get them to back bud? Get it healthy, and full sun. Junipers tend to backbud in the crotches of branches. Get the interior parts of the tree exposed to the sun. Either by wiring the tree or by lightly thinning the top canopy to allow sunlight to penetrate inside. Or both.

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First of all, it doesn't look healthy. Probably needs more sun. Might have spider mites. Probably needs better soil.

Take care of those issues first.

Junipers cannot be cut back beyond the green foliage. If you do, that branch is dead. If you want to shorten a Juniper branch, you have to get it to back bud, and the new growth needs to get strong, and then you can cut back to it.

How do you get them to back bud? Get it healthy, and full sun. Junipers tend to backbud in the crotches of branches. Get the interior parts of the tree exposed to the sun. Either by wiring the tree or by lightly thinning the top canopy to allow sunlight to penetrate inside. Or both.
Hi Adair,
Thanks for the response. I just bought it a few days ago and the lady would move them around everyday so she obviously didn't keep it in the sun like it should be. I do have it in full sun now so it should be ok on that part. I will check for spider mites. If it does have them I'll get something to take care of it. There are some budding in the crotches so I'll try to get some of the inner areas exposed a bit more. Is wiring it to expose the inner parts safer than cutting it back a bit? I really appreciate your input. This is my first spring practicing bonsai so I would have just went and cut it back. But I will definitely take the steps to make it healthy before any extensive work. I will have to try to find someone around me that is into bonsai to help me with the repot. Being new to bonsai ide rather have someone helping me with re-potting a tree that big. Again thank you for your response and advice.
-Jay

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Do you wish to keep the tree styled in the shape it is currently in or are you aiming for a different styling in the end?

This will help with responses on what to do a little. Depending on your goal, your cuts will not be the same.

as @Adair M said, the health should be first on the list right now, but even so I will say that i kind of like this tree and looking forward to seeing it progress.

Keep us updated!

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you wish to keep the tree styled in the shape it is currently in or are you aiming for a different styling in the end?

This will help with responses on what to do a little. Depending on your goal, your cuts will not be the same.

as @Adair M said, the health should be first on the list right now, but even so I will say that i kind of like this tree and looking forward to seeing it progress.

Keep us updated!
Thanks for getting back to me Stone Cloud. I'm pretty much aiming to get it into the the wind swept style it's almost in. I just would like tighter foliage in the end. But ya, I'm going to focus on its health like you and Adair said. But I'll def keep updating my progress with it. Its a pretty tree just have to get her healthy. Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated!

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sometimes the ones we bring back end up being the best....actually they usually are! Once it gets a little more peppy you're gonna get all that new growth you're waiting for!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
so I'll try to get some of the inner areas exposed a bit more. Is wiring it to expose the inner parts safer than cutting it back a bit?
I would say so. What I am slowly learning is that the stronger your tree (= more foliage?) the better backbudding you get. So if you can move the foliageaside instead of clipping it off, I would expect better budding. That is what I am tryin now in any case.

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would say so. What I am slowly learning is that the stronger your tree (= more foliage?) the better backbudding you get. So if you can move the foliageaside instead of clipping it off, I would expect better budding. That is what I am tryin now in any case.
Ya that's what I was thinking too Leatherback. I appreciate your reply. Thanks for the input!!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I agree with Adair (about the tree looking weak), and I'm not sure it's 100% related to light.

Any time I see moss growing on bonsai soil (not placed there) I think bad soil / bad drainage. Shimpakus will get leggy and yellowish foliage if they are in bad soil. I would at the minimum check out the soil and see if water is pooling in the pot. Look at the bottom of the pot and see if the drainage holes are clogged. Check to see that if you water the tree, the water almost instantly pours through the soil and out the bottom.

Lynn E

Mame
Reaction score
Hey Mudd--why not join us at Nature's Way bonsai nursery, Harrisburg Pa,.for a class with Vaclav Novak. His specialty--junipers and pines. Class is 5/11 and 5/12 ; you could come for one day or both.
And bring your tree. I'm bringing one of my very over-grown, old shimps for advice on cutting back. In-person classes are a great way to learn [and the folks at NW are very nice ]. Check out the Nature's Way web site for more info.
Lynn

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Mudd--why not join us at Nature's Way bonsai nursery, Harrisburg Pa,.for a class with Vaclav Novak. His specialty--junipers and pines. Class is 5/11 and 5/12 ; you could come for one day or both.
And bring your tree. I'm bringing one of my very over-grown, old shimps for advice on cutting back. In-person classes are a great way to learn [and the folks at NW are very nice ]. Check out the Nature's Way web site for more info.
Lynn

Go!

Sorce

Top Bottom