Help Diagnosing Dwarf Hynoki Cypress: Foliage Tips Discolored

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The tree is in ground as of 1 month ago when purchased. It was purchased wrapped in loose burlap with roots escaping burlap and establishing into the ground/soil. It was carefully shoveled out, wrapped in new burlap doubled over, burlap on both sides of trunk was connected snugly with zip ties, brought home, placed in the ground near boxwood shrubs, and covered with soil, straw, and pine bark for winter.

I have watered it well twice now (and recently it rained 2-3” so I was mindful of that). Recently noticed some foliar tips blackening on some bottom branches near base and a few higher up the trunk.

Other than those places of concern there is normal interior growth that responded to being shaded out, other growth doing fine (and majority of the remaining tree)

Assistance and advice is welcomed.

Near base:

IMG_2474.jpeg

A little higher up:

IMG_2475.jpeg

Removal and inspection of a terminal branch and foliage:

IMG_2479.jpeg

Again:

IMG_2482.jpeg

Close-up foliage:

IMG_2481.jpeg
IMG_2480.jpeg
IMG_2478.jpeg

The Piedmont area here in VA is known for its red clay soil. Is there an inherent problem. Is this a potential anaerobic environment problem given my tree and conditions?

I think it is just winter kill resulting from the foliage drying out.That could be due to the rootball not getting sufficient water or drying winds.

Back
Top Bottom