Gustavo's JBP entry

Reaction score
Just order my batch of Mikawa Kuromatsu from bonsaiplaza

Not sure how many, but certainly more than I can handle. They also say that seeds were selected from trees that had 'good leaf size, bark and compact growth'. Let's hope they germinate ;)

Reaction score
I looked for mikawa last year and didn't find any. This year again drooling all over the place seeing people buying "mikawa" black pines. Now i'm on a US site, reading a post of someone from the Azores and find out they have them next door... Thank you. By the way it seems that you have incredible growing conditions...

Reaction score
I looked for mikawa last year and didn't find any. This year again drooling all over the place seeing people buying "mikawa" black pines. Now i'm on a US site, reading a post of someone from the Azores and find out they have them next door... Thank you. By the way it seems that you have incredible growing conditions...

Waiting for the arrival of the seeds. They have both mikawa and 'regular' jbp seeds.

Reaction score
I'm not planning to sow all of them. What's the best way to store seeds?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
They just have to be "cool" not "cold". If you can keep them in a warm part of your refrigerator that will be fine - just make sure they don't freeze and don't experience temperature swings. And they must stay BONE DRY. Make sure they are sealed in a heavy duty ziplock freezer bag or similar.

Reaction score
Just sowed my batch and put it outside in the sun. one pot has the pine seeds the other has Celtis australis and Acer monspessulanum seeds. Let's see if anything grows. All sowed in 100% pumice. Larger size on the bottom and finer size on top

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    553.1 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
No germination as of today. It's been relatively cold (8-14ºC night-day) so I suppose it will take a bit longer...

Question: Are the little pines able to cope with direct sun as soon as they germinate or should I give them some protection moving the pots into a bright shaded area?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Germination trays are left in the full sun down here.
Planted February 1st.
Temperatures hovered around 18 deg. C for the Month of February.
10 p.m until 8 a.m.
Seeds took 7 to 14 days to come up with a few still coming up
today.

It was an unusually cool month for us. Normally a few days here and
there at 18 deg.C

The sun keeps them nice and stout [ short ].
Best of growing.
Anthony

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
No germination as of today. It's been relatively cold (8-14ºC night-day) so I suppose it will take a bit longer...

Question: Are the little pines able to cope with direct sun as soon as they germinate or should I give them some protection moving the pots into a bright shaded area?

Full sun. All day, every day. Not only do the seedlings like it, but it tends to keep problems like fungus at bay.

Reaction score
After discarding 3 that were broken (I think it was the neighbour's cat) I was left with 12. Last weekend I transplanted them into separate pots and did root cuttings in half of them.

4 Celtis also popped up and were transplanted, but none of the Acer monspessulanum has yet popped up :(

IMG_0028.jpg
IMG_0029.jpg

all are currently in the shadow. Planning to move them back to the sun in 2-3 weeks

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gustavo,

you may wish to test this.

With any of the seedlings that were transplanted or cut [ accidentally or deliberately ]
Placement was ------- replanted in the evening
Left in full sun from the next day.

Transplanting into soil mix - 5 mm silica based gravel 7 parts
3 parts aged compost.
No deaths.
Individual pots are earthenware clay.
We are also windy.

Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom