Growing some tridents from seed.

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
Pllleeeaaassseee start calling this the “smokescreen technique”.

Nice thread, hoping to give it a shot with some Chinese elm starts this spring

Cheers

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The seedlings have been repotted thru tiles and now have a screen hat to add the same movement to the canopy that I have in the trunks. They are planted in colanders and in much coarser soil for larger/faster growth.

Glad this link was posted...
Than you Smoke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Approx. how much room do you give the tree, from the top of the tree to the screening?

I am DEFINTELY going to try this method with some of my little Tridents.
Going back outside right NOW, as a matter of fact... LOL...

Thanks Again!

Last edited:

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Glad this link was posted...
Than you Smoke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Approx. how much room do you give the tree, from the top of the tree to the screening?

I am DEFINTELY going to try this method with some of my little Tridents.
Going back outside right NOW, as a matter of fact... LOL...

Thanks Again!
No room. You want the screen right on top of any branching too hard to bend. The more room the less bending.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Here are two of the clumps that I just wanted to pot up to sell last year. I didn't sell them and now they are just growing along in the heat, and not liking it at all in the shallow pot. There is a clump of two and a clump of three. The largest trunk is about 3/4 inch. All are about 9 inches tall

g.JPG

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
My next plan is to fuse this next year into a clump of five and shorten three of the trunks significantly.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
We had a record breaking July here. 31 days over 102 for the whole month. When the hot hit on June 30 I was not prepared because June was sooo mild. This planting suffered in the first week with the tree clump dying. Or so I thought it died.... all of a sudden it sprang back to life and became all green again with new leaves. I have seen tridents lose leaves, and this is not what it looked like. I mean I thought it was dead. So this is a miracle.

This was also the time that Ole Horney lost all the leaves.

Reaction score
We had a record breaking July here. 31 days over 102 for the whole month. When the hot hit on June 30 I was not prepared because June was sooo mild. This planting suffered in the first week with the tree clump dying. Or so I thought it died.... all of a sudden it sprang back to life and became all green again with new leaves. I have seen tridents lose leaves, and this is not what it looked like. I mean I thought it was dead. So this is a miracle.

This was also the time that Ole Horney lost all the leaves.

Does Ole Horny still live? I hope so, that tree is a monster!
Also, the shallow blueish pot is looking good, do you know who made it?

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Do you keep the screens slightly larger than the canopy or do you let them press into the screen?
Or I guess another way to ask the question; Is it the limbs curling around from the pressure or the limbs trying to find light through the grid?

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Do you keep the screens slightly larger than the canopy or do you let them press into the screen?
Or I guess another way to ask the question; Is it the limbs curling around from the pressure or the limbs trying to find light through the grid?
Yes to all

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry if I missed this but what time of year did you put the matchstick sized trees through the hole? I assume late winter/early spring at the end of their first year? (got 80 seedlings from this year myself, looking for ideas to use them :) )

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is one of those from that group of seed started trees. This is a single tree that I did not put into a clump. First time in a pot. Really nice pot too. Crackle glaze from Sugiura Keisen. Looks like its a 100 years old. What good do they do on a display shelf.

DSC_0012.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That one is planted right on the bottom of the pot, no soil. tied hard! Gonna start pushing that nebari right up to the soil. It will do it very well in about three years. Already has a good flare (buried) cause it was on a plate.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here is one of those from that group of seed started trees. This is a single tree that I did not put into a clump. First time in a pot. Really nice pot too. Crackle glaze from Sugiura Keisen. Looks like its a 100 years old. What good do they do on a display shelf.

View attachment 236435

@Smoke, how long have you been growing this tree? I have a bunch of seedlings (like 30+) and I'm trying to get an idea of how long it takes it to get to this point...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Smoke, how long have you been growing this tree? I have a bunch of seedlings (like 30+) and I'm trying to get an idea of how long it takes it to get to this point...

I started these seeds under a tent in 2013.

DSC_00050001.JPGDSC_00070003.JPGDSC_000200021.JPGDSC_000700011.JPG

This was the tree before cutting and repotting. You can see much of the wonky under the screen movement now at the top of the tree. That big Z bend will be removed next year.
DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

The repot

DSC_00201.JPGDSC_0012.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I started these seeds under a tent in 2013.

View attachment 236676View attachment 236677View attachment 236678View attachment 236679

This was the tree before cutting and repotting. You can see much of the wonky under the screen movement now at the top of the tree. That big Z bend will be removed next year.
View attachment 236681

View attachment 236680

The repot

View attachment 236684

Very nice my friend, I know that tridents grow fast but WOW!!!

I got a Trident Clump last year that I’m letting grow and I just got the seedlings this year. Looking forward to working with them for sure...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I made a lot of clumps with the material from that season.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 48
  • b.JPG
    b.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 127

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool thread!I am going to grow some Trident Maple for first time.This is very helpful to me.If I can propogate from cuttings all will be good.
Got some Roughbark and standard Tridents in grow pouches.If succesful I will make a thread.Just trying to keep what little stock I have growing good in the propogation bed and getting ready for semi ripe cuttings.

Attachments

• BD09C02E-A73E-4645-A64F-05E264770235.jpeg
    BD09C02E-A73E-4645-A64F-05E264770235.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 107
  • BB4E0DB7-6574-4C0C-9936-0C84DAD7F7D3.jpeg
    BB4E0DB7-6574-4C0C-9936-0C84DAD7F7D3.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 88
Top Bottom