Growing out Zelkova

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Getting motivated by @dirk hoorelbeke s post on his zelkova, I decided to post mine:

I bought a pencil thin 3year old plant in Januari 2017. (2 x [J153] Zelkova, ca. 3 jaar (10-25 cm) (4,- EUR) = 8,- EUR)
zelkova_jan2017.jpg

I planted them in my growing bed. By the end of summer they stood 2 metres (6-7 feet) tall. Trunk.. some 3 cm/1+ inch..
I lifted them last week to look at the roots, and do some rootwork, which was needed. Back in the growing bed now. I will leave one shoot grow tall this year to take a layer and grow out to a broom. So will follow Dirks thread closely!

Last week, not the nearly closed cut-mark where I trummed the plant back to the first side-branch in Jan 2017. I let 2 lower branches shoot, and trimmed the future top back several times to not get overly thick bracnhes there.. Will still need to trimm off all once I move it to a trainer, by the look of things... :
zelkova_mytrees_zs01-1.jpg zelkova_mytrees_zs01-2.jpg zelkova_mytrees_zs01-3.jpg

Oh.. Some have said that sacrifice branches don't work in getting the trunk thicker. I would disagree ;)

Reaction score
Nice movement. I've sowed a few some years back and part of them are in the ground to make big brooms one day... Others are tiny little brooms now.

Top Bottom