Grapefruit question (might be a bit out there)

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first post from a newbie. I have a grapefruit tree with some interesting leaves that I’m considering for a bonsai. I will post a pic. The leaves have a tiny inner part and a normal shaped outer part. If I were to get it into a bonsai form, could I prune off the outer part and keep the inner part? I can experiment with it now as is, but I was curious about your thoughts. It would produce very small leaves on a citrus. The leaves are smallish already compared to my lemon and BuddahsHand. Anyone know the variety?

The tree was grown from a supermarket seed and does not produce flowers, and has lived in a pot already for 20 yrs or so.

Thanks
John

Attachments

• IMG_2149.jpeg
    IMG_2149.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 15

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You can certainly trim off part of any leaf. I do that to wisteria leaves with no problem. That junction would be a natural spot to reduce leaf size.
Grapefruit is already a hybrid so it is not surprising when seedlings revert to one or more of the original parents. Grown from seed could be any citrus or a brand new hybrid if the original grower had mixed plantings of different citrus in the orchard.

Top Bottom