Grandfathers junipers

Micci

Yamadori
Reaction score
eversince i was little, my grandfather would maintain these lil shimpaku junipers, always kept them in shape.he passed last yr from leukemia.i do see my grandmother weekly and noticed that the poor junipers were looking a little sad.since now being in bonsai for a little bit, i felt comfortable to maintain them for him.i took some pics and showed my sensei and he gave me some guidance.today i was there cleaning up alot of dead debris and pruning some of the pads. I started to also wire a few but ran out of wire. I really want to remove the skirt part on the lower bark, what do you think?image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg This is goin to be a slow process but hopefully a beautiful end result that my grandfather would be proud of

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It sounds like a great project.

I can't tell if it is planted in a container or the ground. If it is in the ground I would consider beginning the process of preparing it for eventual collection. I would hate to see yours and your grandfather's hard work go to waste if it needs to be removed one day.

Others with more experience can give you more guidance but I would consider going half way around it with a sharp spade this year. Next year do the other side.

Micci

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks jean, unfortunately itsnplanted in the ground been there ober 30 yrs. what do you mean take a blade to it? Like give it some shari 0n the bark?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looks like Hollywood juniper to me, not shimpaku. Are you trying to make a bonsai out of this?

Scott

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Yeah, I was thinking Hollywood juniper too, but I'm not seeing that undulating trunk you see on most of them in California. They've been clipped enough that it looks like it has a lot of juvenile foliage so it's hard to tell.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
It has or had mites this summer and hence the brown foliage i believe. You need to get in the tufts and cut out all the dead stuff. Also i would thin each tuft out a bit too. Branches that become shaded out for too long will eventually die.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I’ve never had a juniper not have mites at some point , just try to keep me sprayed , and dormant spray here , I thought I had cedar rust coming on this year , realized it was bird doo :confused:

Micci

Yamadori
Reaction score
Im not trying to bonsai the plant just bring some life back to it by cleaning up the dead debris and thinning out foliage, ill try using some dawn and water to kill the mites

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
beautiful and respectful endeavor.

What @jeanluc83 was saying is to use a sharp spade to cut a half circle in the ground around the root ball. The reason is for preparation for next year, when you will severe the other half of the roots to pull it out.

Doing this in steps will increase your chance of survival for the tree ten fold. Especially if you are new to collecting and transplanting trees. Much less stress on the tree this way.

I would not shari, or jin this tree at this point.

Right now the tree is fine where it is at. However if keeping this tree alive and in the family is the goal, plans to collect it should be started.

Good luck with it and keep us updated!!

I also agree that looks like spider mite damage. Insecticidal soap is a great idea and works. Also when watering the tree, blast the foliage with a hose. Straight horizontal!

Doing this regularly will help keep the spider mites at bay tremendously!

Don't get frustrated Mites LOVE Junipers. It's one of our Bonsai Battles that we will always fight!

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Right now the tree is fine where it is at. However if keeping this tree alive and in the family is the goal, plans to collect it should be started.

This was my exact thought.

Thanks jean, unfortunately itsnplanted in the ground been there ober 30 yrs.

Even at 30, with some prep work over the next few years it could be collected. I am not an expert in junipers so others will need to chime in on the details. Even if you don't think you will ever collect it a few years down the road if you change your mind you will be happy you thought ahead.

Micci

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thank you guys so much for the positive vibes and tips, i will be working on the tree again on tues and thursday, so new pics to come! :)

Top Bottom