Gifted a Bonzai kit.. questions about flame trees.

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to Bonzai and my wife bought me a kit online. 4 different species, Black Spruce, Colorado Blue, Brazilian Rosewood, and an African Flame tree… everything seems to be going splendid, but I have a question about my flame tree. Since I planted 3 seeds, two sprouted and one has started to die, I will attach a picture. My only question is when do I cut the one that is dead? I’m so excited to learn and create, and I’m glad I found this forum. Looking forward to my interactions here.

Attachments

• IMG_0837.jpeg
    IMG_0837.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 41
If you want that lil one to survive you'll probably need to move it, looks like it's either not getting enough light or is just getting strangled out

I’m very nervous about moving it and disturbing the larger. I’m more worried about it affecting the larger.

Should I cut it at the soil or leave it? Aside from moving it.

Should I cut it at the soil or leave it? Aside from moving it.
Leaving it won't hurt anything necessary but cutting It will save you from watching it shrivel up, also probably a good choice not moving it.

Only other alternative I could offer is using a thin wire and shaping it to let the little fella get more light, might do that just to get some movement while it's young anyways, if you do that keep an eye on it so the wire doesn't Dig in

Unfortunately, you're going to have trouble growing trees inside. You're already experiencing some of the difficulties--low light, extremely low humidity, no air circulation. All are necessary for successful growth, particularly with some seedlings. Without adequate humidity, seedlings can dry out pretty quickly, as they haven't developed enough growth to withstand harsh conditions.

Some tropical species can endure indoor conditions more successfully than temperate zone species. Ficus and schefflera in particular. Flame tree and rosewood are not used all that much in bonsai. Doesn't mean they can't work, but it does mean you're pretty much on your own in discovering what works with them.

Black spruce and Colorado spruce are extremely difficult to cultivate indoors without extreme supplemental lighting, humidification and other aids. They are from extremely high light environment in the wild. They are alpine species for the most part, which means they require extremely high light conditions, direct sun, as well as seasonal temperature changes.

You don't give your location (not specific, geographic location (U.S./state, or country) in your avatar. That's a very important piece of info regarding what you might be able to do and what species and care will work for you.

One last thing, growing from seed is the looooong path to bonsai. You don't do much "bonsai" with seedlings for a very long time, except grow them out until their trunks are adequate for bonsai--trunks and surface root spread are the hearts of good bonsai. It takes a very long time (three, four five, or a few decades) to develop that. Growing them out in containers extends that timeline since pots restrict root growth and subsequently top growth. Some people enjoy growing from seed, though.

Unfortunately, you're going to have trouble growing trees inside. You're already experiencing some of the difficulties--low light, extremely low humidity, no air circulation. All are necessary for successful growth, particularly with some seedlings. Without adequate humidity, seedlings can dry out pretty quickly, as they haven't developed enough growth to withstand harsh conditions.

Some tropical species can endure indoor conditions more successfully than temperate zone species. Ficus and schefflera in particular. Flame tree and rosewood are not used all that much in bonsai. Doesn't mean they can't work, but it does mean you're pretty much on your own in discovering what works with them.

Black spruce and Colorado spruce are extremely difficult to cultivate indoors without extreme supplemental lighting, humidification and other aids. They are from extremely high light environment in the wild. They are alpine species for the most part, which means they require extremely high light conditions, direct sun, as well as seasonal temperature changes.

You don't give your location (not specific, geographic location (U.S./state, or country) in your avatar. That's a very important piece of info regarding what you might be able to do and what species and care will work for you.

One last thing, growing from seed is the looooong path to bonsai. You don't do much "bonsai" with seedlings for a very long time, except grow them out until their trunks are adequate for bonsai--trunks and surface root spread are the hearts of good bonsai. It takes a very long time (three, four five, or a few decades) to develop that. Growing them out in containers extends that timeline since pots restrict root growth and subsequently top growth. Some people enjoy growing from seed, though.

I do agree with all of this!
I believe I got the same starter kit for Christmas while they develop I invested in a grown sequoia so I could start my practice.

There are solutions to indoor growing issues, personally Haven't had the humidity issue but humidifiers are always an option!

To simulate spring and influence growth in my roots I put a heater in my space to warm the grow area quite a bit more, also grow lights are fantastic, now I did buy new pots to develop seeds in because I understood that small space would strangle out any successful sprouts as they compete.

But you can always try and move them outdoors come spring, I think you should be able to tease the dirt out of the bags to repot or if you don't want to risk that you can always cut the bags (loosing the opportunity to use them for that again..)

The only trees I have indoors, and in fact the only trees I've grown from seed, are tropical trees. Trees should be outdoors for all the reasons stated. I have a relatively small grow tent in my basement with 3 lights. The lights keep the temps up and provide the UV, but nothing compares to the sun - they go back outside at first chance. The tent manages to stay pretty humid from the evaporation of water in the pots. Air flow remains an issue - perhaps a fan could remedy part of this.
One last thing, growing from seed is the looooong path to bonsai.
I want to just stress this point. First off, I am not discouraging anyone from growing from seed. I do as well. It's fun and rewarding. Personally, I grow uncommon species from seeds that I find on my adventures. Do whatever floats your boat. My two cents is to ALSO acquire material at different stages. This way you can grow your seeds and still be engaged in other aspects of bonsai while the seeds do their things.

To give you an idea, I picked up some Vachelia Caven seeds on vacation last year. I knew nothing about the species (in fact, I couldn't initially even identify it). Germinated the seeds indoors and started to learn. It appears to be a "fast" grower - I let it grow wild and the base is maybe half an inch. I bring them out as spring sets in and bring them back in as fall sets in. Otherwise, water and fertilize (and cut it back so it fits back into the grow tent). I will be doing this in one form or another for years to come. How many? Not sure, as I have to see how quick the tree thickens up and learn more about the species. If I had nothing else to do bonsai-wise, this would eventually become a chore for me and I'd likely leave them outside to perish in the snow. But I have other trunks to work with, even some that are further along. So I am trunk chopping and defoliating and directional pruning etc. This keeps me engaged and even encourages me to plant more seeds.

Back
Top Bottom