GDY2000's JBP Entry

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Class photo.

I attempted to candle cut the lower branches on 2. Didn’t work out well. Either I cut too late, the tree is too young or I didn’t properly fertilize in the spring. (Or all the above).

I also got sick of those plastic strainers and went with a more traditional training pot.

I know i’m giving up growth, but at this point, I’m not gonna win & these pots look MUCH better in the garden. 🤣

92BC583C-92D1-4CA2-96D8-ED4DC026B66B.jpeg

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Update:

This may well be my final update for the contest, as I don’t see there being much change between now and 12/31/23.

My contest recap:

The good:

•I finished! I’m guessing my trees would come in somewhere around last place for those that entered. Like running a marathon, though, I’m content to cross the finish line.

•The four trees have some movement, low buds and great root systems. So there’s something there to work with in the future.

The Bad:

• Bottom line is they should be farther along. As you can see, I saw very little growth in the lower parts of the tree over the last couple of years.

Mistakes I made:

• For reasons I’ll never remember, I cut candles in the lower buds in year 4. That was dumb.

• The switch from colanders also slowed growth (2 are back in colanders because the pots broke in a wind storm)

• Numerous mistakes early on. I should have pushed growth faster and stronger in the first 18-24 months.

Key learnings:

• Don’t cut candles early.
• Keep in colanders.
• Start seeds every year - Imagine if I had repeated these steps every year for 6 years. I’d have great material and lots of best practices.
•This was a lot of fun. Would definitely do it again!

Class photo + close ups of lowers buds/trunks
IMG_5211.jpegIMG_5214.jpegIMG_5217.jpegIMG_5215.jpeg

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
•I finished! I’m guessing my trees would come in somewhere around last place for those that entered. Like running a marathon, though, I’m content to cross the finish line.
Maybe we can get a prize for skinniest and least like the Bonsai Today pic! I’ll definitely give you a run for your money!

Congrats on keeping them all alive through 5 winters! I’m learning that is no small task.

Top Bottom