Fusing Schefflera?

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Schefllara will fuse. Takes time and pressure. Those braided trunk topiaries end up looking muscular and fluted given enough time. Schefllara will also produce a cragged bark given enough time.

Attachments

• received_1028594180496345.jpeg
    received_1028594180496345.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 135
  • received_1028594187163011.jpeg
    received_1028594187163011.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 130

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Schefllara will fuse. Takes time and pressure. Those braided trunk topiaries end up looking muscular and fluted given enough time. Schefllara will also produce a cragged bark given enough time.
Word is on the street that you sir are wrong!

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Word is on the street that you sir are wrong!

Just because they haven't seen it themselves, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Have you ever seen Schefllara with bark like that before? Probably not. Have you ever seen a 3 headed Sabal Palm?

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm just kidding around.. I have seen them growing together a bunch of times. Mostly the braided ones.... very confused as to why there saying other wise when you can go to home Depot and see them growing together.

And as far as the bark.
No have never seen that before. Did you have to do anything to get it that way or is it just old as hell?

I do like the idea of putting them together and then planting them help way up the stock... I think I'll do that.

Maybe with a tile under it.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
In my environment, they won't fuse in a decent amount of time. Same goes for you in Maine. I've never seen it, nor have I seen that bark, so it's good that Seth chimed in. Awesome bark.

Steez

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How come that my Schefflera never grows those aerial roots? I have a nice clump, they grow very well, but no aerial roots.
I suspect that it has to do with the moisture in the air. Here in Pasadena, the air is much drier than in the beach communities.

let the soil dry out but make sure its humid. Sheffs throw roots like crazy using this approach

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
Its still always worth a try, and to chime in on what Seth was saying. Here is another photo of a scheff I own thats barking up quite well and beginning to fuse.
12986304_1054637194558710_1962371758_o.jpg 12991977_1054637157892047_353172945_o.jpg

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a nice one.

So is that just one of them regular shefflera that you see with 1 or 2 long branches?

That's what I have... if I would like to start training it should I just start cutting it back a bit at a time and more branches will eventually start popping out the side? Then just shape and keep on trimming for the rest of my life?

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3 feet tall .
1 trunk with about 5 branches off of it.

GroveKeeper

Shohin
Reaction score
The question is, do you really need to fuse them. You can create a great looking tree by planting a few scheffs together and letting the aerial roots cover the individual trunks.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
let the soil dry out but make sure its humid. Sheffs throw roots like crazy using this approach
I have a couple growing in gravel. I water them with my other trees. But no air roots have formed, even here in tropical CR. So if I were to water less, would they start sending out air roots because of the high humidity? They are veriagated, but I doubt that matters. Would elevation matter? Its cooler here than in the flatland, but not less than 50° farenheit at night, more like 60 or 65°. I would like them to look like a banyan styled ficus. Thanks for any advice.

Jarath

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The question is, do you really need to fuse them. You can create a great looking tree by planting a few scheffs together and letting the aerial roots cover the individual trunks.

I agree, eventually the whole conglomeration will look like a forest with aerial roots.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Couldn't you take a bunch of smaller schefflera samplings and grow them in banyan configuration and let it fill itself out through time?

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@lieuz from what I have been able to research that's the best way. I have been picking up small groups over the last year and plan on making a monster this spring

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
hi so I'm interested in the same topic as well. I see that people here say it can't be done but I saw a post that makes me think that the trunks wouldn't have any choice but to fuse. Maybe this technique and incorporate a aerial root like wrapping the mass of trucks with

Top Bottom