Fukien tea tree advice for total bonsai noob

Sabe

Seed
Reaction score
IMG_20240419_151847.jpgIMG_20240419_151438.jpgIMG_20240419_151128.jpgIMG_20240419_151048.jpgIMG_20240419_151847.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240419_151155.jpg
    IMG_20240419_151155.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240418_140350.jpg
    IMG_20240418_140350.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 13
(I'm such a noob I posted without the text...first post on a forum ever)
Hi everyone! I'm totally new to bonsai and just purchased this 8 year old Carmona. I have a ton of questions, and I'm worried sick that it'll die on me in a matter of weeks (days, even!).
1. Is it normal for some 10-15% of the leaves to be wrinkled like this? If not, what can it be due to and what action can I take?
View attachment 541454
2. I seem to have a reverse taper issue (if that's even the proper name for it) going on one of the upper branches...is there anywhere I could cut to prevent this from getting worse...or would loosing all that foliage be worse for the overall wellbeing of the plant?
View attachment 541455
3. Seems like I made a rookie mistake and got all excited with pruning (before and after pictures here) which I soon learned was a mistake (cuts can lead to disease? smaller trees like this one need that foliage to be healthy and grow?). I stopped as soon as I read that was a no no, but I also know that top part is pretty nuts with all the different branches...I'm ok with the aesthetics if the tree actually needs it to stay like this for a while, but considering that I don't really need the tree to grow much bigger (the plan is to keep it in that size pot, and to keep it small...my apt is tiny and I do prefer really small bonsai...if this one is in fact in maintenance stage, I could live with the trunk staying at that thickness level and just try to get a nice-looking canopy going). So, should I stop pruning? Or choose a main branch and get rid of all the tridents on the upper area?
3. View attachment 541458View attachment 541456
4. The substrate looks organic...I watered by submersion and it seemed to drain ok...but I'm concerned about all those surface roots? Should they even be there in the first place? Do they look healthy or rotten? Does it look rootbound and if so, is it worth the risk of repotting so soon after purchase from a greenhouse? If I do repot (it would be to the same container, what mix do you recommend, and do you recommend pruning the roots so it better fits the pot? View attachment 541459
5. This is the tree's current location. It's immediately in front of a huge window, facing West (but it's a first floor so it only gets about 3 hours of sunlight, best case scenario). Aesthetically, there's another location 2 meters from the window...perfect contrast with the color of the wall, nice surface to work on it without hurting my back haha. Would it survive or should I just buy a nice stand and leave it right next to the window. I'm also a bit concerned about privacy, as people can see me from the street, gazing at the thing like a madwoman haha.
6. About the wire rust marks all over the trunk: any way I can get rid of those? they don't bother me that much, they tell a story (I guess someone used the wrong kind of wire, with iron in its composition?)...but eventually I bet the overall look would improve without them. Any advice?
I'm well aware these are a ton of questions, and if I could just get the answer to one I guess it'd be the repotting one, cause I don't want to kill it if it's rootbound or has a terrible substrate.
Thanks to all in advance...I really tried to find the answers to all of these on YouTube, other posts, but they are very specific to this particular individual case...and I really, really want to keep it alive. I know it sounds corny, but I bought it thinking about my grandparents, it sort of symbolizes them :)
I've fallen intantly in love with this art. Looking at the bonsai is similar to meditating, it brings me such peace and joy!

1. The white spots are normal for a fukien tea. I don't see what you mean by wrinkled. But overall the tree looks healthy.
2. If you really wanted to you could prune the apex back but I wouldn't worry about the reverse taper at this stage too much. Worry about its health.
3. Not really sure what you're asking but when in doubt, let it grow.
4. Because it is in the mix you bought it in I would consider repotting soon. Summer time. If you decide to repot I would use whatever your local bonsai nursery uses without much root pruning.
5. It needs as much sun as you can provide.
6. Time
You should post your location so everyone knows what climate you live in.
Fukien tea trees are known for being pest magnets. Eventually you will need to treat for them.
I live in Florida I keep mine outside all year and still struggle with pests. From what I understand they can be even more of a problem indoors.

I’m new as well but I did buy one of these from Lowe’s last year. I kept mine inside all last year and noticed late winter leafs began to become very yellow. Prior to this it appeared very healthy and dark green foliage. I did repot in march when I did All other trees and replaced the organic soil it came with for a more traditional bonsai soil from tiny roots. After repot it looked worse but have kept it outside as long as above 45F. Started fertilizing and now looking very dark green again. Mine does not seem to have the spots I see on yours but sounds like previous post says this is normal. I will plan to keep mine outside except for cold protection.

I’m new as well but I did buy one of these from Lowe’s last year. I kept mine inside all last year and noticed late winter leafs began to become very yellow. Prior to this it appeared very healthy and dark green foliage. I did repot in march when I did All other trees and replaced the organic soil it came with for a more traditional bonsai soil from tiny roots. After repot it looked worse but have kept it outside as long as above 45F. Started fertilizing and now looking very dark green again. Mine does not seem to have the spots I see on yours but sounds like previous post says this is normal. I will plan to keep mine outside except for cold protection.
Thanks for your reply, Jrmcmich! Unfortunately, keeping mine outdoors is impossible, as I live in a flat downtown...I'll definitely consider repotting, thank you! I hope your Fukien keeps thriving :)

1. The white spots are normal for a fukien tea. I don't see what you mean by wrinkled. But overall the tree looks healthy.
2. If you really wanted to you could prune the apex back but I wouldn't worry about the reverse taper at this stage too much. Worry about its health.
4. Because it is in the mix you bought it in I would consider repotting soon. Summer time. If you decide to repot I would use whatever your local bonsai nursery uses without much root pruning.
6. Time
Fukien tea trees are known for being pest magnets. Eventually you will need to treat for them.
I live in Florida I keep mine outside all year and still struggle with pests. From what I understand they can be even more of a problem indoors.
Thanks so much for your help, SWflorida! I'll def go for repotting once I get rid of what I think are spider mites
6. Time
Thanks so much for your reply! I'll definitely consider repotting, after I get rid of what I'm almost sure are spider mites. You were right on point with them being pest magnets :(. I've attached pics of webby white stuff, some white spots that are brighter and not evenly distributed, damage caused by the bugs (no shine, dusty look on leaves, wrinkled and with bumps...like a bowl shape). Should I deal with them with Neem oil? Any advice on application? Should I spray thoroughly all the leaves, both sides? Should I go full killer and submerge them? Sorry if I say something crazy, I really don't know what I'm doing here.
My location is north western Spain (Vigo, Galicia). Humid, temperate, and quite sunny city despite the rain.
The bonsai came with the pest already, obviously...feel a bit cheated. But, I'll do whatever I can to keep it healthy!

Attachments

• 17137013115138723604855366302846.jpg
    17137013115138723604855366302846.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 1713701345491339384175320673643.jpg
    1713701345491339384175320673643.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 17137014420485906914294576936143.jpg
    17137014420485906914294576936143.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 17137014766145974073219368303319.jpg
    17137014766145974073219368303319.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 6
  • 17137015065695704587087805092707.jpg
    17137015065695704587087805092707.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 6
I use a systemic pesticide on mine. I have no idea what might be available in Spain for you to purchase.

Back
Top Bottom