For those with Dawn Redwood experience...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've found a couple redwoods at the box, and they have relatively large trunks. Downside is they are nor entirely straight (nature isn't perfect), but they've also seen some roughing up I think. Lower leaves are decent, but nearly missing on one side, top looks pretty bare, but doubtful tree is dying. If the top of the tree was jinned, is it likely the bottom would back-bud and regrow that lacking side? Unfortunately I don't have pics, thanks for your time.!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry, you’ll need to post at least 3-4 images before I or anyone can answer this question. Otherwise anything anyone would say is mere speculation.
E
cheers
DSD sends

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Dawn redwood back bud very well so can be trunk chopped hard. I've also root pruned quite hard with no ill effects.
Not entirely straight is likely caused by previous pruning or growing near other plants and reaching for light.
Missing leaves may also be caused by crowded conditions where little light reaches one side close to a fence or other trees but always difficult to be certain just from a description.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry, you’ll need to post at least 3-4 images before I or anyone can answer this question. Otherwise anything anyone would say is mere speculation.
E
cheers
DSD sends
Understood. I am in the middle of redoing my porch ceiling today, so hopefully will make it back there soon. Ty!

Dmvbonsai

Mame
Reaction score
I just bought a 10 foot dawn redwood and chopped it to 20 inches lol. It back budded everywhere and bounced back with zero issues. If that helps

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
Redwood dawn from stick in a pot.
Chopped every other year, four or five years old, grown in Anderson flats,old guy I don’t keep records.

One thing I have found with redwood dawn, the roots will explode if you don’t confine them or constantly prune, just my two cents.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2807.jpeg
    IMG_2807.jpeg
    355 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2809.jpeg
    IMG_2809.jpeg
    348.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2808.jpeg
    IMG_2808.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 78

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally, I'd avoid buying a large trunk DR for use as a single tree. You'll be trying to deal with the chop for awhile, or forced to take the jin approach. Since you want taper and at least some movement in both the branches and the trunk you'll likely only get to use the bottom foot or less of your purchased tree, and only the stubs of the lower branches. DRs grow very quickly and if you start with something small you can work that into nice material in single digit years, probably much better than what you'd get with a chop.

DRs are also very easy to air layer and root from both HW and SW cuttings. So if you do buy a larger tree I'd consider using the top and outer material for additional trees.

And yeah, they can take aggressive rootwork without a sweat. Pretty much need to repot every year. Just give them lots of water and sun during the summer.

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
Personally, I'd avoid buying a large trunk DR for use as a single tree. You'll be trying to deal with the chop for awhile, or forced to take the jin approach. Since you want taper and at least some movement in both the branches and the trunk you'll likely only get to use the bottom foot or less of your purchased tree, and only the stubs of the lower branches. DRs grow very quickly and if you start with something small you can work that into nice material in single digit years, probably much better than what you'd get with a chop.

DRs are also very easy to air layer and root from both HW and SW cuttings. So if you do buy a larger tree I'd consider using the top and outer material for additional trees.

And yeah, they can take aggressive rootwork without a sweat. Pretty much need to repot every year. Just give them lots of water and sun during the summer.Gr in
Great information, thank you for adding to the thread.

Jthom123

Seedling
Reaction score

And yeah, they can take aggressive rootwork without a sweat. Pretty much need to repot every year. Just give them lots of water and sun during the summer.
Can you just air layer where you are planning to trunk chop with drw?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
On a more pessimistic note, I bought a "back of the nursery" damaged 8 foot tall dawn redwood with a beautiful fat trunk and the damage was above where I wanted to chop anyway. Even though it was a vigorous grower, it would only ever backbud for years at the collars of the three existing branches below the chop. I sold it after a few years but in those three years, no other backbudding from the trunk. The trunk diameter above the flare was probably about 5 inches ish. I suppose the takeaway from all these responses would be, see what happens!

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@caffeinated maybe once the bark gets too thick the buds can't break through and backbudding stops. Like pinebark maples. I know small DRs backbud all the way down.

@Jthom123 yeah, that's what I would do. A little late now but in late winter or early spring just layer at that point. You should be able to separate in early summer.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@caffeinated maybe once the bark gets too thick the buds can't break through and backbudding stops. Like pinebark maples. I know small DRs backbud all the way down.

@Jthom123 yeah, that's what I would do. A little late now but in late winter or early spring just layer at that point. You should be able to separate in early summer.
that could be it. Dunno. But yeah, my much smaller redwood backbuds on the trunk non-stop

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don't have a ton of experience with DRs, but they seem to backbud very well. They also grow like wild fire. I picked up this DR towards the end of winter 2022 as a tiny stick and repotted into a 1 gallon and later in the season up-potted into a 10 gallon. It's now about 6 feet tall and the base is maybe 1.5". I'm shooting for 3" and then will chop this bad boy down. In the meantime, it's my summertime Christmas tree.

Attachments

• DR1.jpg
    DR1.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DR2.jpg
    DR2.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 39
Top Bottom