Flowers, 2016

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Very lovely...so did your dad get you interested in bonsai...or you him? With your having cuttings from his bonsai...it's the first thing that popped into my head.

When I was young, junior high, I was interested and actually tried a few, all died. Dad has always been interested in plants and growing them. He actually was successful at bonsai first, me later, but we were both interested.

John

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Wonderful ! :cool:

You are the flowering master! :)

Btw just a quick question: why do we cut the buds of the azalea once the flower is gone exactly?
I don't have any azalea bonsai right now but I planted 9 as landscape plants in our yard, they are all blooming and I was wondering if I had to do the same as for bonsai's one.

Thanks, and a good question. In the landscape, the flowers are usually left to fall off on their own, unless they get sheared off do to pruning. As for bonsai, it is for looks. Also, each flower leaves behind a fruiting body and it is said that it is necessary to remove those to conserve the plants energy, which I think is debatable, I doubt seriously there is much energy used in their formation. I heavy prune my bonsai azaleas after bloom and that is the only reason why all of the spent flowers are gone.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When I was young, junior high, I was interested and actually tried a few, all died. Dad has always been interested in plants and growing them. He actually was successful at bonsai first, me later, but we were both interested.

John
That's really COOL John...my boys are not interested in the least over my trees. Other than the youngest was upset when I buried the hot mess of roots on the Virginia Creeper. And very happy when I changed the angle and uncovered a little of the roots.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Awesome Vin, is that the one that is called "autumn moon"
I'm not sure. I purchased it from a member who is no longer active. Like many of my trees, I have not posted any images but I can tell you when I do I think you'll agree it's an awesome example. You've given me a good start on gathering info about it. Thanks!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Was out watering today and took some pictures of some of the flowers on the bench, just wanted to share.

First up are some cuttings that I got form my dad from one of his satsukis, I don't know the name. They are two year old cuttings and this is the first year that they have bloomed. I have been making each one as to the flower color it produces.

View attachment 101617

View attachment 101618

View attachment 101619

View attachment 101620

View attachment 101621

Here is the parent plant:View attachment 101616

I sent you a PM about this one- gorgeous blooms! The one I saw in EBay I Thoought it resembled is "Kogetsu":
image.png
I am not trying to judge this dude, but GATDOMIGHTYKNOWS, $150 for that little... Cutting!? I need to raise my prices when I sell these things on FB! LOL. That thing better be "Kogetsu" some money back! Kogetsu a 6 pack of beer any time you want it... Kogetsu a sandwich and a Hooters girl... For that kind of cash on such a small Plant! LOL. I'd sell (JUST RECENTLY SOLD) a Miyuki (just as rare, just as beautiful IMO) of the size in this eBay listing for like... $20-30! Just playing around obviously, I am sure there is some added value to this variety I just don't understand personally, but gracious... I was expecting a nice little Bonsai all styled and potted up for that price.

Closer comparison:

image.png image.jpeg

I think it is a match! Assuming this eBay seller has it named proper, this looks like Kogetsu to me! :)

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Your Gumpo "fancy Pink" looks almost exactly like the variety our local Azalea farm refers to as "Gumbi"! No telling which is more correct or if they are the same exact variety of course... Do the blooms ever have a dark pink candy stipe on them? I see there is a slight variance in shades of pink... Shape, colors... All are very similar to my "Gumbis"!

I went from a couple years ago barely knowing there was a difference between Satsuki and the big "heirloom" varieties found in landscapes around here- to N ring totally ennamored with and hungry to learn as much as possible about Azaleas! They are an addiction all their own!
First Bonsai in general, always LOVED Maples (still do), then recently pots started to "click" for me, now Azaleas are becoming a specific fixation in a big way! Always appreciate it when you post because you have some good ones.

Thanks!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I sent you a PM about this one- gorgeous blooms! The one I saw in EBay I Thoought it resembled is "Kogetsu":
View attachment 104499
I am not trying to judge this dude, but GATDOMIGHTYKNOWS, $150 for that little... Cutting!? I need to raise my prices when I sell these things on FB! LOL. That thing better be "Kogetsu" some money back! Kogetsu a 6 pack of beer any time you want it... Kogetsu a sandwich and a Hooters girl... For that kind of cash on such a small Plant! LOL. I'd sell (JUST RECENTLY SOLD) a Miyuki (just as rare, just as beautiful IMO) of the size in this eBay listing for like... $20-30! Just playing around obviously, I am sure there is some added value to this variety I just don't understand personally, but gracious... I was expecting a nice little Bonsai all styled and potted up for that price.

Closer comparison:

View attachment 104499 View attachment 104505

I think it is a match! Assuming this eBay seller has it named proper, this looks like Kogetsu to me! :)

LMAO! I posted this, then ran across this:
http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/bonsai-kogetsu-azalea.23138/

Looks like this was confirmed, denied, confirmed again, denied again all in the same post! Just goes to show how varied Satsuki varieties are and how MIXED UP they appear to be!
Who freaking knows man! Gorgeous blooms regardless!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Your Gumpo "fancy Pink" looks almost exactly like the variety our local Azalea farm refers to as "Gumbi"! No telling which is more correct or if they are the same exact variety of course... Do the blooms ever have a dark pink candy stipe on them? I see there is a slight variance in shades of pink... Shape, colors... All are very similar to my "Gumbis"!

I went from a couple years ago barely knowing there was a difference between Satsuki and the big "heirloom" varieties found in landscapes around here- to N ring totally ennamored with and hungry to learn as much as possible about Azaleas! They are an addiction all their own!
First Bonsai in general, always LOVED Maples (still do), then recently pots started to "click" for me, now Azaleas are becoming a specific fixation in a big way! Always appreciate it when you post because you have some good ones.

Thanks!

I think that the fancy pink and gumbi are one and the same. Maybe the gumbi thing is a local name. I found this one at a local nursery that has gone out of business. Some of the flowers do have stripes and others have faint white edges. I also have a gumpo that has white and the fancy pink flowers.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Another Update:

Was watering this morning before bed (working midnights) and found this little lady. It is from a cutting that I struck year before last, it is called Kobai. I really like this one as the flowers are quite small, about the size of a half dollar.

IMG_20160512_074546.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Was watering this morning before bed (working midnights) and found this little lady. It is from a cutting that I struck year before last, it is called Kobai. I really like this one as the flowers are quite small, about the size of a half dollar.

Great size indeed. Also the foliage looks dark enhancing the bloom. Is that considered a warm climate plant or?

Grimmy

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just arrived at my parents place for the weekend and I see that my first satsuki is flowering: "Kobai Nishiki". They are nice, those Kobai types. It's a bit off an oddball in a way. The leaves aren't R.indicum type, so there must be quite a bit of R.tamurae genes in the mix. That might mean they aren't the most winter-hardy.

The foliage is nice, but my cuttings, while they do seem hardy and healthy so far, do seem to be slow growers.

'Kobai Nishiki' looked like it had harvarestable pollen. I'll try to make some crosses tomorrow.

Last edited:

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Great size indeed. Also the foliage looks dark enhancing the bloom. Is that considered a warm climate plant or?

Grimmy

I don't know, Grimmy, if they will make it in cold weather. I leave them out through the winter here; coldest maybe 30, upper twenties, but we rarely have extended cold. It is a Satsuki.

John

bumblebee

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I think my favorites are the second one posted, white with tiny red spots, and the Coral Bells.
What do azaleas need in this climate to grow and stay healthy, in a pot, in this climate? I have tried 2. but each time
it died after a few months.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some very pretty azaleas John, Thanks

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Libby, I don't know for sure, but it could be the salt in the air from the Gulf. Are the any azaleas growing as landscape plants on the Island? I fish there all the time, but don't recall seeing any, or many. If not the salt, maybe the sun. Mine only get half a day full and dappled shade the rest. Also they like to stay moist, but not sopping wet, if you let them dry out too many time they start to weaken or keep them too wet and the roots will rot.

I really don't fertilize mine too much, osmocote thrown on them each spring and maybe a little miracle grow twice a year. I use ironite when they get a little yellow.

Hope it helps,

John

Top Bottom