Fixed a stone pot with epoxy, will this be hazardous to my Bonsai?

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
So I found a nice quartz stone and decided to make a Bonsai pot out of it. Upon almost completing the pot, a couple of pieces broke off and I used some Loctite Epoxy to put the pieces back on. I have two questions:
1. Will the quartz stone be bad for the tree?
2. Will the epoxy that I used for the repair be hazardous to the tree after it's fully cured?

Thank you all for your time all!

Quartz is pretty inert and the epoxy when cured should be no problem. Constant watering will render it useless within a year.

Is their anything that I can seal the inside of the quartz with to lengthen the life of the epoxy?

Smoothe-On makes a variety of military grade epoxies that are not very expensive in small amounts. You can find their stuff on Amazon. I use their Instant Epoxy, which is also used in building jet fighters. Never had anything come apart.

Marine epoxy putty also works well for sealing things. You can get this anywhere. I sealed cracks in pots and used them of 15 years with no problems.

Or the black prune and seal spray from Wal-Mart.

Or that stuff they float screen door boats with.

Sorce

Thanks for the advice everyone! I worked on it a little bit more today, smoothed out the inside of the pot a little bit more and started the drain holes. I still need to polish the inside and seal it but overall I think it will make a nice pot:) The pieces that broke off were just from the sides and not the bottom of the pot so hopefully that and some sealer will allow this pot to live a decently long life. Here's is a couple of progress pics of this stone.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I worked on it a little bit more today, smoothed out the inside of the pot a little bit more and started the drain holes. I still need to polish the inside and seal it but overall I think it will make a nice pot:) The pieces that broke off were just from the sides and not the bottom of the pot so hopefully that and some sealer will allow this pot to live a decently long life. Here's is a couple of progress pics of this stone.

From above it looks like the Meliniam Falcon. Cool. Id stick a bonsai in it.

Back
Top Bottom