Finish the sentence: "I have killed the most trees by..."

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have killed the most trees...by feeling I could adequately winter them in the wrong climate and wintering conditions. Treating temperate trees as tropical.

Though...I have killed the same amount of trees with a careless fertilizer mistake of rushing to get done...and mixing landscape dose for potted trees. So it's a toss up. Both learning experiences...

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've killed the most trees by applying herbicide.
But that's my job.
As for bonsai.
Voles?
Then cold.
Then dying after collection.
Then rootwork in the wrong season.
If you toss in chain saws and heavy equipment I've killed more trees than any one man I know.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
UNDERwatering.

For years when I was new to this, I read all this BS talk of "root rot" and people saying you HAVE TO get that new tree out of the nursery soil and into inorganic soils.., and until you understand the proper care, it leaves you scared to even WATER a tree! Go to ANY thread about a tree that is unhealthy and read the responses, there is always at LEAST one person implying over watering is the issue when it pretty much NEVER is. It takes a LOT to over water a tree to the point of causing root rot and typically it is not even caused simply by over watering! It is caused by STAGNANT WATER. Which, ironically is the result of poor drainage and swampy soil that doesn't dry out and is NOT WATERED FREQUENTLY TO FLUSH OLD AIR OUT. so, make sure you have good drainage in the pot and whether using organic or inorganic soil, use free draining, "open" components, then water DAILY (some trees need it 2-3 times a day) during the growing season. Always error on the side of over watering... water fully til the water flows out the bottom of the pot, wait a few minutes and do it again.

I say it all the time, over and over, and over... Hoping a few people will get the point and avoid the losses I had because of this.

Recently, I lost a few young trees this Spring because I did not (Hell, COULD not) move everything in spduring a freak cold snap last month... a few Maples that had leafed out already got zapped and didn't come back... Most were fine and came back OK. I don't ever remember this type of snap freeze/SNOW so late in the year here!! Hope we never see it again!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vacation has been my number one killer, after that might be the spring I over fertilized.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Water, wind, shitty product and being me.

Well I was going to say overwatering, it is certainly an issue for trees in nursery soil and I do suspect that too much watering on dormant trees has been the main contributor for my deciduous not waking up or waking up to say hello before death.
Wind, wind has caused many setbacks. I need to come up with some wind protection because this year the wind has had me really down.
And a newcomer to the "What killed me" game appears to be the dodgy seaweed extract I have, no idea why they make it so strong here. I miss seasol.

Most of these could probably of been avoided in the first place because, well me.

Reaction score
Over watering, and soil that breaks down and compacts after two years causing drainage issues.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Overwintering issues. Only have unheated garage. Temp swings like this past winter (for example mild winter, couple of warm weeks had trees leaf out early, followed by single digit week and a cold snap, and back to warm).

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
When I first started I killed the majority of trees with two insults a year, usually within days if not hours of each other. most often it was repotting and then wiring the trees, with some severe bends in the branches. Then I bought so many trees to stop this from happening I can't keep up with doing a single insult a year lol.

Top Bottom