Ficus

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello peeps,

So, my first tree I bought, my mallsai, is doing amazing. It's growing vigorously now and probably has double the foliage from when I started. It's a Ficus ginseng and is basically a big root with a few twigs. I have it under a grow light, water when the soil goes dry and fertilise with liquid ferts weekly. I was only fertilizing at 50% the stated dose initially as it wasn't growing. As soon as it started I upped the dose.

I would really like to repot it but the advice seems to be not to repot into inorganic substrate but the soil it's in seems very slow to dry. It needs watering about once a week. Can I repot with a sphagnum moss peat mixed with something that drains a little better?

Long term I would love to have an informal upright ficus. I'm considering taking a cutting from this tree and growing it out.

What's your opinions?

Ficus do fine in well draining, inorganic mixes. You just have to adjust your watering and fertilizer to match the substrate you put it in. If you put it in an inorganic substrate there is very little chance of over watering or over fertilizing, but your days of once-a-week watering will be over.

Cuttings from Ficus are pretty easy to strike. Take lots and put them in sand, rock wool, or fines from your inorganic soil mix. Keep them in a humid environment and you'll get plenty started to play with.

Have fun!

Ficus do fine in well draining, inorganic mixes. You just have to adjust your watering and fertilizer to match the substrate you put it in. If you put it in an inorganic substrate there is very little chance of over watering or over fertilizing, but your days of once-a-week watering will be over.

Cuttings from Ficus are pretty easy to strike. Take lots and put them in sand, rock wool, or fines from your inorganic soil mix. Keep them in a humid environment and you'll get plenty started to play with.

Have fun!

I want my once a week watering to be over. I'm worried about the roots staying wet so long. I'd rather be watering more often.

The problem with taking cuttings is I have nothing to take from as the tree is just twigs. There are a few S shaped ficus in my local mall. I don't really want an S shaped ficus, I want an informal upright. If I bought one could I trunk chop below the S and start again?

Hello peeps,

So, my first tree I bought, my mallsai, is doing amazing. It's growing vigorously now and probably has double the foliage from when I started. It's a Ficus ginseng and is basically a big root with a few twigs. I have it under a grow light, water when the soil goes dry and fertilise with liquid ferts weekly. I was only fertilizing at 50% the stated dose initially as it wasn't growing. As soon as it started I upped the dose.

I would really like to repot it but the advice seems to be not to repot into inorganic substrate but the soil it's in seems very slow to dry. It needs watering about once a week. Can I repot with a sphagnum moss peat mixed with something that drains a little better?

Long term I would love to have an informal upright ficus. I'm considering taking a cutting from this tree and growing it out.

What's your opinions?
We repotted our ficus, Gandalf, into an inorganic mix last year in a beautiful Linda Ippel pot. Indoors over winter we have it under LED grow lights (first time this year otherwise it was always just south facing window and really had no casualties in winter, even our Fukien tea drama queen still lived through it) and so I've been watering once every 2-3 days instead of my usual once a week. Seems to be doing well (for winter anyways).

We repotted our ficus, Gandalf, into an inorganic mix last year in a beautiful Linda Ippel pot. Indoors over winter we have it under LED grow lights (first time this year otherwise it was always just south facing window and really had no casualties in winter, even our Fukien tea drama queen still lived through it) and so I've been watering once every 2-3 days instead of my usual once a week. Seems to be doing well (for winter anyways).

I will repot in some better inorganic soil. I love ficus bonsai, they look awesome.

Does anyone have advice on when the best time to repot ficus? Mine seem to have grown constantly through the winter and I'm assuming they will carry on through spring and summer.

I love ficus!

If you're going to "up pot" them then you're not really repotting, won't be so hard on the tree. If you don't remove tons of roots and just gently rake and wash the muck off you can do it now.

I love ficus!

If you're going to "up pot" them then you're not really repotting, won't be so hard on the tree. If you don't remove tons of roots and just gently rake and wash the muck off you can do it now.

I don't really want to remove any root from any of my trees. With me only just starting out I see all my trees as pre bonsai and I want to get them all growing vigorously to thicken them out and add to the structures.

I've ordered moler clay, perlite and sphagnum moss peat to make my own soil. Will the ficus grow well in this? From what I've read a general mix of 4 parts clay, 2 parts perlite and 1 part peat seems to be a good mix.

I don't really want to remove any root from any of my trees. With me only just starting out I see all my trees as pre bonsai and I want to get them all growing vigorously to thicken them out and add to the structures.

I've ordered moler clay, perlite and sphagnum moss peat to make my own soil. Will the ficus grow well in this? From what I've read a general mix of 4 parts clay, 2 parts perlite and 1 part peat seems to be a good mix.

😁 well I don't want to start a soil war!! Haha!

Ficus and other trees can grow equally well in different types of soil. Environment, climate, watering habits etc. All play a role besides species requirements in whether a soil will work for you or not. Best bet is ask a local Bonsai club or member what works best for them. 👍

If you search the forum here you will find a thousand different types of soils we all use. It's amazing lol

😁 well I don't want to start a soil war!! Haha!

Ficus and other trees can grow equally well in different types of soil. Environment, climate, watering habits etc. All play a role besides species requirements in whether a soil will work for you or not. Best bet is ask a local Bonsai club or member what works best for them. 👍

If you search the forum here you will find a thousand different types of soils we all use. It's amazing lol

I have realised that tonight. I've been doing a lot of reading about soil.

I realised how complex it can all get and how the experts can confuse people.

I suppose this is like my advice with aquarium. After years of keeping aquariums I can hand out extremely complex explanations, when really I use a simple process myself loads of filtration, loads of food, loads of clean water. Which translates in bonsai terms into open soil, loads of fertiliser, loads of water!

I have realised that tonight. I've been doing a lot of reading about soil.

I realised how complex it can all get and how the experts can confuse people.

I suppose this is like my advice with aquarium. After years of keeping aquariums I can hand out extremely complex explanations, when really I use a simple process myself loads of filtration, loads of food, loads of clean water. Which translates in bonsai terms into open soil, loads of fertiliser, loads of water!

Bingo! But the soil convos can be entertaining lol.

I use lava,pumice and pinebark

1583672469425640732576.jpg

I love that pot! now own molar clay and perlite. I will get some pine bark and a sieve tomorrow. I can literally see new root all over.

Thanks! yea I have a bunch of bark to sift, but have been lazy to be honest

Thanks! yea I have a bunch of bark to sift, but have been lazy to be honest

I've just ordered a sieve. I watched that guy, Nigel Saunders on YouTube. What I noticed was he screened for fine particles but not larger. I thought you screened for bits too small and too big? Like smaller than 4mm and larger than 8mm.

I've just ordered a sieve. I watched that guy, Nigel Saunders on YouTube. What I noticed was he screened for fine particles but not larger. I thought you screened for bits too small and too big? Like smaller than 4mm and larger than 8mm.

The Bonsai Zone! 😁

You're right you should sift both too small and too large. Particle size will also depend in the size of the tree though also. Smaller trees smaller particles and vice versa. Although I've seen most of his videos I don't remember that one so can't say why he only sifted small. Maybe the large particles didn't need to be sifted 🤔

Back
Top Bottom