Ficus duo, anyway semi cascade

iHasaki

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8 A
Hey there!

A few years ago i bought this ficus. I think the base/trunk is a different variety than the foliage(Ficus Ginseng and Microcarpa. Supposedly to make it more attractive I guess. Now since short a branch with different leafs popped out of the Ginseng trunk. So perhaps it will grow two different sets of foliage i can work with!

Since i got my new soil i decided to replant it in a training pot. When I turned to grab something it felt in this position and I decided it to be this way.

What i was wondering is if indeed this plant has the potential to grow two different sets of foliage?
Anyone else had this happening on other grafted plants?

Have a good one!

Attachments

• ficus roots2.jpeg
    ficus roots2.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 41
  • ficus roots.jpeg
    ficus roots.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 43
  • ficus2.jpeg
    ficus2.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 45
  • ficus1.jpeg
    ficus1.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 49
  • ginseng ficus - ginseng shoot.png
    ginseng ficus - ginseng shoot.png
    33 KB · Views: 50
Mine is doing the same thing. The rootstock is sending out different foliage than the stuff grafted on it. I will probably remove that shoot at some point.

They graft a ficus with small leaves on the "robust" ginseng root, on my ficus the graft died so I only have the ginseng left. Most people on this forum would do the opposite (air layer the graft off it). Welcome to the forum!

Yes 2 different varieties.

Cuttings root easily, especially in summer. For a bonsai tree, it is best to have only one type foliage. Remove the root stock foliage. You can treat that shoot as a cutting. If it doesn't take periodically the roots will throw more.

Keep removing the root stock shoots.

Back
Top Bottom