Fall and early winter pruning.

Good question. I know it’s been discussed before, but I am always interested to hear about how people handle it.

I do the same. I Cut long shoots back as most of my trees will be in close proximity as they are wintered. Space is always an issue.

The ones planted or healed into the ground just get a light prune unless they are crowding out others.

For conifers I did the last pruning this month. Bud selection/reduction I will do soon.
For the deciduous I prune one more time after leafdrop not to stimulate other buds to open before frost comes. Not thicker than 1 or to cm.

How do y’all handle pruning at this time of the year? I usually prune extra long shoots and small trunk shoots and that’s about it.
I focus on light pruning and fall cleanup associated issues. Less on structural pruning or design decisions. I tend to leave stubs longer at this time of year with a preference for heavier pruning and finishing cuts closer to spring when the trees will have a better chance to recover and begin healing the cut right away. This goes along with leaving a bit more foliage on the evergreens and finishing the " balancing" later. With the intent to keep the trees stronger throughout the winter period.
Key focus becomes removing needles and or leaves that can create health issues over the winter period. Either fungal or havens for insects.
Sort of respecting the calendar and the growth cycle more than following a regimen.

I wait till the decideous are naked to do structural pruning also because they will tale back nutrients from the foliage when leaves drop so if i cut that off before the leaves drop the tree will miss that ones.(dont know of it realy matter but thats my toughts)
i did thin out my junipers to make sure the interior gets more light during the shorter days

We've still got at least a month in our growing season. Next week is supposed to be triple digits temps all week. I'm getting a post-summer growth spurt from a bunch of things that I hope doesn't get choked off by more heat.

Back
Top Bottom