Fall 2017 contest anyone?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
We are getting into the time of year where climate starts playing into things impacting many in a negative way pushing them out of the competition. But if it's going to be done lets get it on, there doesn't seem to be much else going on around here outside of political BS.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We are getting into the time of year where climate starts playing into things impacting many in a negative way pushing them out of the competition. But if it's going to be done lets get it on, there doesn't seem to be much else going on around here outside of political BS.

Wel then we have to come up with some rules and dates i guess !

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I can take a photo of my knee root still in the pot with the mother Boston Ivy...lol I am more into thinking of plans for spring as us Northerners head into winter...than aquiring more material. Changing shimpaku to a cascade possibly...and thickening my love/hate Goji into a training pot. Repotting and angle changes for the creeper. But...I would love to follow those who participate. I don't see myself part of the fun. But hope you have a few who do hop on.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It probably should be about who can put together the most credible bonsai out of the least credible material. Some parts of the country are going into the winter storage season. It is unlikely anyone is going to find anything that has not been blown out the door at pre-winter sales. Just a knee jerk reaction. We should also determine who is interested and how many.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I can take a photo of my knee root still in the pot with the mother Boston Ivy...lol I am more into thinking of plans for spring as us Northerners head into winter...than aquiring more material. Changing shimpaku to a cascade possibly...and thickening my love/hate Goji into a training pot. Repotting and angle changes for the creeper. But...I would love to follow those who participate. I don't see myself part of the fun. But hope you have a few who do hop on.
What would it take to get you to participate other than your new job? I know Junipers and Mugos are available in Des Moines, I used to work (many years ago) and Earl Mays Garden Centers.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It probably should be about who can put together the most credible bonsai out of the least credible material. Some parts of the country are going into the winter storage season. It is unlikely anyone is going to find anything that has not been blown out the door at pre-winter sales. Just a knee jerk reaction. We should also determine who is interested and how many.

I agree but we could allow tree's wich are already bought but not worked to maybe allow people without a chance of finding something to enter the contest?
Like any non worked non pre-bonsai stuff will be enough to enter?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I agree, if the idea is to get to a decent bonsai beginning the source should not be an issue. As long as there is no competition with rewards it should not matter what we start with. It is something to do that is constructive with a positive out come in the end. If someone thinks they have to get a wringer to win??? So what? What difference does it make? We still get to see a good bonsai we have not seen before and maybe the process it took to make it, that's the important issue. It is after all, the process it took to get where it goes that winds up being important to beginner and advanced as well.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What would it take to get you to participate other than your new job? I know Junipers and Mugos are available in Des Moines, I used to work (many years ago) and Earl Mays Garden Centers.
I am close to maxing my mental head count if I count my material that isn't bonsai yet. I wish to add anything...it would be something closer to specimen trees. I am hoping to do something with the knee root. Mind you it has not one branch or even a back bud. It was recently severed (accidently) when I pushed it down to see if flexible. But still in pot with the mame contest tree. I have high hopes to create something with it...for the sole purpose I like the species...and its material that typically I would toss out. But am curious if I can do more with. I don't wish for more projects...I have plenty going on in that aspect already. So much so...I ponder the Amethyst Falls wisteria in training...if I will keep it or sell it. Once ground layered...and established.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I would tentatively be in, not sure what I have laying around that I haven't already chopped or isn't a stick but after last years killing spree I have unfinished business and think I know where to find a similar replacement.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So if i get you right vance
Any type of tree at any stage would be fine?
So could have been styled in the past?

Either bought, collected anything thats lieing around in the garden will do
the goal will be improveing the chosen material

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
So if i get you right vance
Any type of tree at any stage would be fine?
So could have been styled in the past?

Either bought, collected anything thats lieing around in the garden will do
the goal will be improveing the chosen material
Why not? Personally I would prefer that any of the work had to be done by the exhibitor.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ill play again. You guys sort out the rules. I have a couple stumps in boxes or could pick some more box store victims.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Why not? Personally I would prefer that any of the work had to be done by the exhibitor.

I agree
So a prestyled entry must be a creation of the contestent only exception would be a malsai?
All spieces are allowed
No restrictions on what stage the material is in
No max or minimum on the price tags

All that remains is a start date
The duration of the contest wich will provide a end date
And ofcourse get some people to enter the contest

I sugest post an entry
Style/restyle/improve the entry in the given time
Post the results:
Before pic (all sides?)
Detail pics
Detail pic
Detail pic
Result pic (all sides)

Winner(s) will be picked by anyone who care's to vote by hitting the like button in a voting thread

After the contest open up a thread to give and recieve some constructive critisism wich we all could learn from :)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Let's do it, I am going to enter a Mugo Pine. This particular tree was cut down from a nursery tree in 2015. I am looking to finish work on it before Christmas. If no one has objections I would like to enter this tree.

Last edited:

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
So basically you are looking for the biggest improvement/transformation between now and the end of the year?

Top Bottom