Failure Air Layering Japanese Maple

kingcoldaf

Seed
Reaction score
Hey there,

I purchased purchased an Acer Palmatum in spring from a local garden center and let it grow out until the middle of May. It was at that time that I attempted my first airlayer. I cut the bark back, sprinkled rooting powder above the cut, and wrapped in damp sphagnum moss.

It has been two months now and I decided to unwrap the moss to see how the roots have been progressing. After unwrapping it seems like the tree is swelling and forming callus at the top cut point, but not a single root has formed. In terms of the tree itself, new growth has formed under the air-layer and the leaves above the air layer are still alive and well.

Does anyone know what I should do to possibly succeed with this airlayer? Should i rewrap it and give it more time? Should I cut the callus off and attempt to rewound?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

For reference: grown outdoors in zone 7b

Attachments

• 448760843_1500527150557296_4606452918888255513_n.jpg
    448760843_1500527150557296_4606452918888255513_n.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 450923609_1443015699751639_3000920494776579162_n.jpg
    450923609_1443015699751639_3000920494776579162_n.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 38
Hey there,

I purchased purchased an Acer Palmatum in spring from a local garden center and let it grow out until the middle of May. It was at that time that I attempted my first airlayer. I cut the bark back, sprinkled rooting powder above the cut, and wrapped in damp sphagnum moss.

It has been two months now and I decided to unwrap the moss to see how the roots have been progressing. After unwrapping it seems like the tree is swelling and forming callus at the top cut point, but not a single root has formed. In terms of the tree itself, new growth has formed under the air-layer and the leaves above the air layer are still alive and well.

Does anyone know what I should do to possibly succeed with this airlayer? Should i rewrap it and give it more time? Should I cut the callus off and attempt to rewound?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

For reference: grown outdoors in zone 7b
I usually don't open my airlayers until September. That is when I expect to see roots. Now that it's open. I would lightly scrape the callus and apply rooting hormone and re-wrap it. The callus contains the energy for the roots, so I would not remove the callus.

Scrap the callus with sharp knife gently to uncover live tissue. Apply gel hormone stimulator or any if you have one. Take strong wire and wrap it under the callus and tighten it until it is buried slightly into the wood. Add moss, close and wait. If doesn't work until autumn rinse and repeat next spring.

Thank you all for the thoughtful responses!

I will attempt to scrap the callus slightly and re-apply rooting hormone and wait until autumn.

If autumn comes and still no roots form is there any overwintering protocol for the airlayer? Should the wet sphagnum moss be removed once the temperatures drop below freezing? Does the exposed area need additional protection from the elements?

Thank you!

Thank you all for the thoughtful responses!

I will attempt to scrap the callus slightly and re-apply rooting hormone and wait until autumn.

If autumn comes and still no roots form is there any overwintering protocol for the airlayer? Should the wet sphagnum moss be removed once the temperatures drop below freezing? Does the exposed area need additional protection from the elements?

Thank you!
I would store the tree outside as any other tree, maybe packing it to protect from direct wind and drying out.

Back
Top Bottom