Experience with Crataegus Monogyna (Common Hawthorn) in Hotter Climate

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have the opportunity to pick up a nice starter common hawthorn (crataegus monogyna) and curious if anyone has had experience with them in warmer climates?

Looking at their native range, they are native to most of Spain and northern Africa. They’ve spread through to Australia, New Zealand, and parts here in the US and Canada. I found a few articles that cover them.

I was just curious if anyone has any experience with them in similar climates to mine (8a - hot and dry summers with wet and cool fall, variable spring weather, with mildish winters with occasional hard freeze)? I asked my club but none have any experience with them.

Central Valley, California. Hot as fuck. I reckon you'll be OK, too.

These are invasive to our oak woodlands. I have several in nursery containers and they do not have any problems in the summer. I have one test planting I put it in the ground last fall, so it has not yet experienced full, intense sun. We'll see how it does this summer.

They're pretty tough and adaptable creatures, haven't managed to find anything they dont like. Fine here in zone 9a and our heatwaves of last year

Back
Top Bottom