Evergreen Bonsai in distress...

OhSnappy

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and need direction with the Bonsi I purchased in May. I watered it weekly but noticed after a month that the needles were turning brown. So I stopped watering it for two weeks. Then my watering schedule was now every two weeks instead of one. No change. Can anyone direct me to the next steps? See the pictures attached.
Regards OhSnappy

Attachments

• One.jpeg
    One.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Two.jpeg
    Two.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Three.jpeg
    Three.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 36

cmu268

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks dead - did you keep this indoors? Junipers need to be outside.

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hey there Snappy. I'm sorry, but it's likely dead. First, it should be kept outdoors, regardless of what the vendor told you. Second, you may have been set up for failure from the get go if this was tied down, potted up and sold to you already on the verge of death. Where did you purchase this juniper?

Take this as a lesson learned and a common introduction to the hobby. You're certainly not alone.

Let us know where you live (update your profile), if you have the ability to grow outdoors and perhaps we can recommend something else to try with. If you're in the northern hemisphere, you may want to wait until early spring to recommit yourself, but if you're in the southern, now is a great time for a beginner to pick up new material.

SandSquid

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Scrape off the bark from a small area near the foliage. If there's green underneath it's not quite dead. If no green...RIP, Juniper.

In may and through summer it should have been outside, direct morning sun, watered daily - depending on your location, of course. That's the case even here in Seattle with our wacky weather. We can keep our junipers outside all year long with no problems as long as they're maintained correctly.

OhSnappy

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey there Snappy. I'm sorry, but it's likely dead. First, it should be kept outdoors, regardless of what the vendor told you. Second, you may have been set up for failure from the get go if this was tied down, potted up and sold to you already on the verge of death. Where did you purchase this juniper?

Take this as a lesson learned and a common introduction to the hobby. You're certainly not alone.

Let us know where you live (update your profile), if you have the ability to grow outdoors and perhaps we can recommend something else to try with. If you're in the northern hemisphere, you may want to wait until early spring to recommit yourself, but if you're in the southern, now is a great time for a beginner to pick up new material.
Hey there Snappy. I'm sorry, but it's likely dead. First, it should be kept outdoors, regardless of what the vendor told you. Second, you may have been set up for failure from the get-go if this was tied down, potted up and sold to you already on the verge of death. Where did you purchase this juniper?

OhSnappy

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply back - I bought it at Angus Farm in Etobicoke. It has a great flow to it :(, I live in Toronto. Yes, lesson learnt!

OhSnappy

Seedling
Reaction score
Scrape off the bark from a small area near the foliage. If there's green underneath it's not quite dead. If no green...RIP, Juniper.

In may and through summer it should have been outside, direct morning sun, watered daily - depending on your location, of course. That's the case even here in Seattle with our wacky weather. We can keep our junipers outside all year long with no problems as long as they're maintained correctly.
Yes, it's dead!!!!!! so sad. I didn't think you could get a Bonsai that was just for outdoors. I wanted one for indoors. So this Bonsai could survive our Canadian winters?

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

You're in luck! General meeting and Bonsai 101 class coming up this month: https://www.torontobonsai.org/events

Go meet some people.

I wanted one for indoors. So this Bonsai could survive our Canadian winters?

Yes, this juniper would be fine outside through the winter, perhaps with a little protection for severe weather.

If you are looking for an indoor plant, follow this thread; https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/what-bonsai-for-office-environment.62359/

OhSnappy

Seedling
Reaction score
Reactions: n8
Top Bottom