Erythroxylum, Cocaine Bonsai

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
In his post-cancer years, Vaughn Banting put down his life story on his web site. The site had more than 2,100 photos of his adventures from childhood, through Vietnam, his passion for bonsai, and for haiku. In 1991 Vaughn was invited to be the headliner for an International Bonsai Convention in Cali Columbia. Here he is holding a cocaine bonsai. I find this to be one of the more interesting trees he encountered.
A cocaine bonsai.jpg

It wouldn't survive as a bonsai in most gardens. We would be defoliating it every week.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've seen this photo a few times, but could never find it online. There's also another photo of a coca bonsai in Dorothy Young's "Bonsai: the art and technique" book from the 80's if I remember right. BTW, that book is full of info on native species from North America and it's gem if you can find it.

Reaction score
I've seen this photo a few times, but could never find it online. There's also another photo of a coca bonsai in Dorothy Young's "Bonsai: the art and technique" book from the 80's if I remember right. BTW, that book is full of info on native species from North America and it's gem if you can find it.

Here it is, the price is budget friendly.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
There was a documentary in the UK a few months ago about the cocaine trade start to finish. The amount of leaves you need at the start of the process to finish with a tiny amount is crazy. The coca bonsai would be safe.
Chewing the leaves is something the native population does for a stimulant. Some make coca tea. The web tells me chewing the leaves produces a more mellow, rounded, euphoric buzz than the rush and crash of cocaine. I'd still fail a drug test, but only because they'd ask me "What the hell is in your mouth?"

The DEA won't care if we're chewing or refining. If we're going to jail for growing bonsai, our defense attorney is going to want to know just how much cocaine we could have produced in one year.

I found this:
"In order to make 1 kilogram of cocaine, drug producers need to cultivate around 370 kilograms of coca leaf, or over 800 pounds. The producers need over two acres of land in order to grow enough coca leaf to create a kilo of cocaine."

How much cocaine can we get from one bonsai? 370k : 1k is our first clue.

An acre is about 4047 square meters.
Here are a couple of hard-working individuals outsourced from the US:
Harvest.jpg
The trees look a little sparse. Let's be generous and say that the bonsai at the top of the page has as many leaves as a square meter of the plants in the photo of those hard working entrepreneurs.
With two square acres and one bonsai per square meters, we would have 8,094 bonsai trees (Imagine the cost of pots and akadama! Someone in the cartel is going to complain when they see our bill from Dallas Bonsai.)
8094/370kg = 21.876 trees to produce 1kg of leaves
1000/21.876 = 45.74g in leaves per bonsai (1.6oz),
That seems light. But we're using generalities. 1.6oz of leaves feels like we're in the right cocaine farm ... I mean ballpark. Order of Approximation calculations are common and "feels right" is enough validation to continue calculating.

8,094 bonsai per kilo of coke gives us:
1000g/8094b = 0.123g, roughly 1/8g of coke per bonsai
Poking around the web, because I honestly don't know, tells me that it would take about twice that for a nice high.
At six harvests per year, something else I learned, you can get a nice high 3 times a year or if you're patient, you can be hospitalized and be a patient once a year.

I don't do cocaine and wouldn't. I would only get a cocaine bonsai because I think it would be funny to tell my friends that I have a cocaine bonsai. I could put it in shows and lie about its species. No one would know. It'd be a hoot.

Then somehow, somewhere, residue will be on my wife's shoes. So what? She happens to work in the same building as the a local DEA office. She has ridden the elevator with a dog or two. One of the dogs is guaranteed to freak at some point. Then the DEA comes to my house and I tell them "I have a cocaine bonsai! Ain't that a hoot?"

It won't be a hoot.

Don't do coke, kids. I never have (I binge drank in college). The closest I've been to coke is by way of a college girlfriend. She was fresh out of rehab for an addiction to speed. She promised me she wouldn't do speed while we were dating. Instead, she did coke. Then she did one of her girlfriends. While I was in the room. Things got all kinds of good and weird, but, yeah, uh, where was I? OH! Don't do drugs.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Long name -------- Eyrthroxylum ovatum cav.

we call it oxy for short.
The second one in the yard is about to flower.
Will see if can get an image for the group.

Makes a beautiful shrub, in the swamp or on the heights overlooking
the sea.
Maximum trunk size thus far just under 12 inches. Height around 14 feet.

oxy (2).jpg

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Long name -------- Eyrthroxylum ovatum cav.

we call it oxy for short.
The second one in the yard is about to flower.
Will see if can get an image for the group.

Makes a beautiful shrub, in the swamp or on the heights overlooking
the sea.
Maximum trunk size thus far just under 12 inches. Height around 14 feet.

View attachment 173691
That's a very nice looking tree. Let me know if you need me to come repot it for you. ;)

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ha ha, it just passed the tests for density and ability to thrive in a pot.
Now for the real training, and to discover how to get it to flower ompletely
as it does in nature.

The shrub of a thousand stars.

Thanks for the compliment.
@BillsBayou .

Good Day
Anthony

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I know of a retired cardiologist, a Peruvian national, who as carry on luggage, brought through customs, at Chicago ORD a "gallon size" beautiful hand woven basket containing a couple ounces of dried coca leaf. When asked by the customs agent, " do you have any thing to declare", he set the basket up on the counter and said "hierba de coca". Agents scrambled, talked, called, paged through books, computer. After an hour said"go ahead" it's allowed. Apparently in 2007 the cocaine drug was illegal, but the leaf itself was too low in cocaine to break the law. This may have changed since then. Consult your lawyer before attempting this trick. I did get to sample "matte de coca" at this physician's home and pronounced it a delightful, mildly stimulating drink with pleasant effects, no more dramatic than a cup of coffee, but rather different than coffee. Certainly not a buzz by any means. Very mild and very pleasant, flavor much like green tea, with a hint of mint. Fond memories of lovely people.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Seeds of the coca plant are noted for having a short shelf life, probably why it isn't circulating in the "underground" plant market, the way certain cacti, salvia, and other entheogens do. Too bad really. It shouldn't be hard to grow as an indoor tropical tree.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I know of a retired cardiologist, a Peruvian national, who as carry on luggage, brought through customs, at Chicago ORD a "gallon size" beautiful hand woven basket containing a couple ounces of dried coca leaf. When asked by the customs agent, " do you have any thing to declare", he set the basket up on the counter and said "hierba de coca". Agents scrambled, talked, called, paged through books, computer. After an hour said"go ahead" it's allowed. Apparently in 2007 the cocaine drug was illegal, but the leaf itself was too low in cocaine to break the law. This may have changed since then. Consult your lawyer before attempting this trick. I did get to sample "matte de coca" at this physician's home and pronounced it a delightful, mildly stimulating drink with pleasant effects, no more dramatic than a cup of coffee, but rather different than coffee. Certainly not a buzz by any means. Very mild and very pleasant, flavor much like green tea, with a hint of mint. Fond memories of lovely people.

Have a few "coca" tales from younger days, but none as eloquent or suitable for public view :p

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Seeds of the coca plant are noted for having a short shelf life, probably why it isn't circulating in the "underground" plant market, the way certain cacti, salvia, and other entheogens do. Too bad really. It shouldn't be hard to grow as an indoor tropical tree.
It is actually the second most difficult plant to work with in my collection. Growth is slow and very unpredictable (even in grow room conditions), not to forget that these tropical plants can drop their leaves at whatever time they see fit with no guarantee of backbudding. There is a small online market for seeds and live plants that I know of.
Seed germination drops rapidly and using fresh, self produced berries still gives a germination rate of around 40-60% in some of the best conditions. The survival rate in the first year is around 80%.
Other means of propagation (air layering, cuttings, tissue culture) don't seem to work at all. Coca is a notoriously poor rooting species, or at least, nowadays it is, thanks to the heavy treatment of native E. coca lands with agent orange. The advantage to that, is that most coca plants have a pretty good round-up resistance. The downside is that an expected response to auxins is non-existent.
If you're going to make a bonsai out of this, I recommend using the Novo variety, if possible from Indonesia (the Dutch have brought them there and no government has actively tried to eradicate them). They are easier to work with and less illegal due to them having a lower alkaloid content.

Tea of the leafs is quite dull tasting. I recommend adding the flowers after boiling, they have pretty good tasting nectar.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Quite possibly! Cocaine is just one of the 40+ alkaloids in the coca plant. As far as my pharmacological knowledge goes, which is just around the corner and back, I remember reading that nearly everything ending in '-caine' is based originally on alkaloids coming from the coca plant. Lidocaine for instance, is a cocaine analogue used for local anesthesia. Cocaine itself was pretty good at that too and old cocaine jars can still be found in antique dentist collections. Benzocaine is another one, stolen by pharmaceutical companies from the coca plant. There's something about that molecule that makes people want to copy and market it..

As a bonsai, I can't recommend it. As a nice bushy plant in a large container, I'd say go ahead! Growth can be stretchy for no apparent reason, and these plants are less predictable than 1000 drunk, hormone filled, teenagers in a pool. Olives look a like, and so does ficus, those are both easier to manage.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ha, just came from the Herbarium and noted we have about 6 Eyrthroxylum,
should be interesting finding them.
Know of one other, thus far.
Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom