Endless bleeding from summer cut wounds

zeejet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I recently performed some large cuts to my tigerbark ficus and Siberian elm. Some of the cuts did fine, but two of the large cuts on both have been bleeding for over a week. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I cannot apply cut putty to these as the bleeding ends up creating a pocket of fluid that eventually continues leaking anyways. The bleeding slows during midday from the sun and heat, but resumes bleeding in the evenings into the early morning.

This doesn't seem to be bothering my ficus, the there is some browning of apical foliage on the elm.

Should I be concerned? If so, what is the usual protocol for something like this?

My hornbeam has done same thing. Seems healthy but has been bleeding for few weeks

I have made some rather large cuts on many of my ficus. I spray them with water after pruning and that usually staunches the bleeding within a hour or so. Smaller cuts stop right away but larger take maybe a day. I have done major pruning on ficus, but they always come through. I will also often defoliate at the same time so sometimes they are bare for a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom