Easy back-budding on Pinus Nigra

Carapace

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I did an experiment this year, in late spring I plucked some specific needles from the young (5 years old from seed) trunk of an Austrian Black Pine (pinus nigra). I am not sure if this is anything new (it probably isn't) but in early autumn I looked at the places in which I did the plucking and I saw buds in almost every place I plucked needles from. Now I think this might be because the tree is very young and also because the places which grew buds were in full sun.
So that is an easy way to get some precise buds on pinus nigra, I dont have any experience with other pines as this is my only one, but I am sure this may work on other species aswell.
I'll be able to post pictures tomorrow.

I played around with this species a little when I first got into the hobby and remember thinking that they were back budding machines. I didnt have any specific plan I was following and I didn't understand the physiology enough at the time to know why or what I was doing. But I wonder if someone in Europe doesn't have a detailed system for developing them. Have seen some very nice ones here in the USA

Well, I hope that they remaing back budding machines when they get older, cuz I have no reason to generate back budding right now, I am trying to make it look like it was squished by slushy snow as if it were growing on the side of a mountain and I just wand to bend it over itself again and again for quite a bit.

I treat them as scots pines and generally they seem to behave the same.
I didn't know about the needle plucking being effective. But I have had pines push buds in every needle base after doing a chop and a pluck at the same time in spring.
Not going to risk this on older specimens, but you might be on to something!

I have a large one and it pushes buds out of needle pairs but I have only ever had it make buds on a bare branch once and that was at a node. This summer I let it grow and fertilized it regularly then cut off all the terminal buds in late August. It is now covered with buds and on the ends of some branches where I cut the terminal budgs there are as many as 6 new buds, but still nothing on bare bark.

Back
Top Bottom