Dwarf Poms

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I got these two dwarf poms from a member here last summer. The bigger one grew happily all summer and never dropped a leaf when I brought it in come fall. The smaller one resented the move and dropped all it's leaves. It was a naked stick until a week or so ago, when it woke up. When it gets warm enough to go back outside, should I do some pruning, at least on the bigger one? (although I want to see them flower). They are in pretty deep nursery containers, should they go into something a bit more shallow? The soil is fine, so a repot is not necessary, as far as soil is concerned. Any suggestions are welcome, first experience with poms Dwarf pom.jpg dwarf pom 2.jpg .

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I actually recently chopped and did a major repot in my dwarf Pom, and it has already thrown out 3 fruit! So I'd say cut back if you'd like. But with them being so thin, I don't see why you would want to

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
So keep them in the nursery pots another year? They seem happy, so don't want to do anything to thwart their progress, just to do something.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Any thoughts as to whether to just let these go another year as is? The nursery pots are pretty deep.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So keep them in the nursery pots another year? They seem happy, so don't want to do anything to thwart their progress, just to do something.
I like to keep any trees in training (except a few biggeys) in 6" or shallower pots, no need for depth really.

Aaron

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Carol 83,
It depends on how big the tree you want to have in the future.
If you want to make them as small bonsai, then you need to prune it back; otherwise just let them grow to make the trunk bigger.
Pomegranate does not like the shallow pot because its roots can get burn during the hot weather, and it like full sun in many hours a day. With the tree is still in training phase, I like to use the bigger pot.
Bonhe

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I am trying to learn patience... So as advised, I will let them go a year, hopefully see some flowers. I have read they dislike shallow containers as @bohne confirmed. Preferring to be a bit root bound for flowering. Appreciate the input guys, I will keep my hands off this year:)

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got these two dwarf poms from a member here last summer. The bigger one grew happily all summer and never dropped a leaf when I brought it in come fall. The smaller one resented the move and dropped all it's leaves. It was a naked stick until a week or so ago, when it woke up. When it gets warm enough to go back outside, should I do some pruning, at least on the bigger one? (although I want to see them flower). They are in pretty deep nursery containers, should they go into something a bit more shallow? The soil is fine, so a repot is not necessary, as far as soil is concerned. Any suggestions are welcome, first experience with poms View attachment 133953 View attachment 133954 .
No pruning, go to bigger not smaller pots, feed like crazy and water plenty. You need these specimens to get much bigger, even if you want to end up with small bonsai. Don't go near either with shears until next year at the earliest.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
So, it's been another year. I have let them grow. They are really straggly, just wondering if I should cut back some of the long shoots, to get some back budding closer to the trunk? The smaller one is sprouting some new growth on the trunk, so that is encouraging. I can get pics when I get home.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
You could drop them in a little bigger pots to be sure. I might give them a light hedge shearing just to give a little shape and push some lower growth. Don't take much off. They look really healthy!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, it's been another year. I have let them grow. They are really straggly, just wondering if I should cut back some of the long shoots, to get some back budding closer to the trunk? The smaller one is sprouting some new growth on the trunk, so that is encouraging. I can get pics when I get home.
Hihi, as I said last year, just let it grow freely unless you want to make a small bonsai. The current pots are still too small for it. One thing I should add is that pomegranate can easily push out a lot of adventitious buds as elm. I would concentrate training on the trunk line first. When I am satisfied with trunk line, then I will switch the training to the branches. I 'd like to borrow some spaces in your post to show you how I have been training my pomegranate. This big cutting had no branches at all. Now, it has a lot of branches which are trained at this time.
IMG_6539.jpg IMG_6540.jpg IMG_6552.jpg
Bonhe

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Hihi, as I said last year, just let it grow freely unless you want to make a small bonsai. The current pots are still too small for it. One thing I should add is that pomegranate can easily push out a lot of adventitious buds as elm. I would concentrate training on the trunk line first. When I am satisfied with trunk line, then I will switch the training to the branches. I 'd like to borrow some spaces in your post to show you how I have been training my pomegranate. This big cutting had no branches at all. Now, it has a lot of branches which are trained at this time.
View attachment 183605 View attachment 183606 View attachment 183608
Bonhe

You are the man on poms!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you should find a rock and get one of these on it.

In fact....

I challenge you to find a rock and get one of these on it.

I almost bought one last year.
Too cute!

Rock On!

Sorce

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
View attachment 183605 View attachment 183606 View attachment 183608
Bonhe
Feel free to borrow space all you want! Bigger pots on order, as soon as it's warm enough to get them outside. Was just thinking the new leaves are all growing at the very end of the straggly branches, that cutting back a bit would force leaves lower down. The smaller one, is popping some growth from the trunk, so happy about that. I really appreciate your comments, and advice. Looks like a long term project.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I think you should find a rock and get one of these on it.

In fact....

I challenge you to find a rock and get one of these on it.

I almost bought one last year.
Too cute!

Rock On!

Sorce
You have interesting rocks, up there in Chicago? We got jack-shit here for interesting rocks. I will consider the challenge.....

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have interesting rocks, up there in Chicago? We got jack-shit here for interesting rocks. I will consider the challenge.....

Lol I was thinking about all the cool shit I saw down there!

I found a couple of these lace rocks as thrown out landscape stuff.

Best about these trees is you don't need a very big rock, so even expensive by the lb. Purchasing at a pet store etc...

Matter of fact....
https://www.chewy.com/pisces-usa-seiryu-aquarium-rock-17-lb/dp/164145

I have been considering this what is more or less a grab bag .....
I can use the rocks for other things like fountains and Fishtanks so I can find other value in it...
That and I kinda like the challenge of finding at least one rock to make awesome with a tree....and I like small small...

Seems something like that could work.
Hand carved seems to look natural enough to not have it hit my anti-Tanuki zone!

Hehehe!

Sorce

Top Bottom