Droopy J Maple leaves

Arbol

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey all.

Recently bought a Japanese Maple from California and had it shipped here (Salt Lake). When it arrived it looked very good. Leaves were hardened off and there was still a good amount of moisture in the pot after being shipped (see picture).

Since then. The leaves have become droopy. The tree is in a lava rock and akadama mixture. I watered it yesterday the substrate is still moist as of this evening. It hasn’t been in complete shade since it arrived. Should I keep it shaded?

I am wondering the droopiness is due to the change in climates? The stress of shipping? Or because it is confused as to what season it’s in since my other trees are just starting to leaf out.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_3223.jpeg
    IMG_3223.jpeg
    321.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3227.jpeg
    IMG_3227.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3226.jpeg
    IMG_3226.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3228.jpeg
    IMG_3228.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 63

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are the leaves still stiff and not limp? Maybe it's just colder and darker than in California so they're changing their angle or something.

Arbol

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That’s a good looking little maple. Sometimes the tender new growth can look droopy.

Very excited with the color of the foliage.

I know new growth can be droopy, I was more concerned about the transition of perky foliage to the now droopy foliage.

Arbol

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are the leaves still stiff and not limp? Maybe it's just colder and darker than in California so they're changing their angle or something.

Some of them are a bit limp. Seems like the leaves higher up on the canopy are a bit stiffer.

jevanlewis

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Arbol When did it arrive from California? I agree with others that it is probably reacting a bit to the change in temperature. At least where I am, in the past week we've had nighttime lows in the high 20s. Since I had just repotted, I brought my trees inside for 3-4 nights. Had I not recently repotted, I probably wouldn't have.

Also, because that JM was in CA, it is a bit ahead of the JMs that have been here in Salt Lake all along, and probably is just a little bit susceptible to the cold. I know different cultivars leaf out at different times, but all six of my JM cultivars are well behind where that one is. In fact, your other two JMs are way far ahead of all my JMs, too!

Like others said, I think it will be fine. Given the current low temperatures and the fact it's been in CA until recently, I would definitely put it in full sun now and only move it into partial shade after it gets hotter.

1711761134301.png

Arbol

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Arbol When did it arrive from California? I agree with others that it is probably reacting a bit to the change in temperature. At least where I am, in the past week we've had nighttime lows in the high 20s. Since I had just repotted, I brought my trees inside for 3-4 nights. Had I not recently repotted, I probably wouldn't have.

Also, because that JM was in CA, it is a bit ahead of the JMs that have been here in Salt Lake all along, and probably is just a little bit susceptible to the cold. I know different cultivars leaf out at different times, but all six of my JM cultivars are well behind where that one is. In fact, your other two JMs are way far ahead of all my JMs, too!

Like others said, I think it will be fine. Given the current low temperatures and the fact it's been in CA until recently, I would definitely put it in full sun now and only move it into partial shade after it gets hotter.

View attachment 537064

Thank you! I appreciate the advice. Sounds like we’ll keep doing what we’re doing then. I got it about a week ago.

Now that is a cool looking maple!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's fine. This come packed in styrofoam peanuts? Looks like it to me, as leaves can be pressed down by those in a box. Leaves aren't a problem. Wouldn't worry about it. I would worry about frost exposure if temps are below 40 and the plant is out under an open sky. Frost can form in low humidity, still air when temps get to 38-38 or even a bit higher sometimes.

Arbol

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's fine. This come packed in styrofoam peanuts? Looks like it to me, as leaves can be pressed down by those in a box. Leaves aren't a problem. Wouldn't worry about it. I would worry about frost exposure if temps are below 40 and the plant is out under an open sky. Frost can form in low humidity, still air when temps get to 38-38 or even a bit higher sometimes.

It actually wasn’t packed in with peanuts. But I do appreciate the insight of protection below 40 for frost. Not something I thought about. Thank you.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As the leaves extend I find they get floppy for a few days. I always take it the tree is growing the leaf, and no structure is available for the leaf yet, so they are more floppy than right after budbreak, or when they are fuly grown

Arbol

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As the leaves extend I find they get floppy for a few days. I always take it the tree is growing the leaf, and no structure is available for the leaf yet, so they are more floppy than right after budbreak, or when they are fuly grown

Thank you, question for you. Do you ever see maple leaves becoming floppy due to insufficient light?

Top Bottom