Down To Earth's Diatomite Rock

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I had heard from a few others that the particle size on this product was better than the NAPA 8822 and Optisorb. So, I decided to purchase a bag and it finally came today.
IMG_3876.JPG

And, I REALLY liked the particle size. There were nearly as many particles over 1/4" as there were particles 1/8" to 1/4". And nothing overly large.
IMG_3879.JPG

And virtually nothing less than 1/8". Although that could be because I was scooping from the top part of the bag. Once I get to the bottom of the bag I'm sure I'll find some fines less than 1/16".

When I get some extra time I'll do some testing on it's water and oxygen retention properties compared to NAPA 8822 and Optisorb.

Unfortunately this product isn't available any where around me. It is pricier than NAPA 8822 and Optisorb with the additional charge of shipping. But, I did REALLY like the particle size :)

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
From which retailer did you purchase this?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Huh, $46 after shipping. I'll stick with optisorb until I can find it locally. But thank you for the link

Steve21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for posting this, very interested to see the test results.

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Huh, $46 after shipping. I'll stick with optisorb until I can find it locally. But thank you for the link
But the particle size is so nice :)

Actually, I'll probably do the same. There's a place in PA that is supposed to carry the Down To Earth products. I'm going to be down that way on vacation in April. I may stop by the place and stock up a little then.

Steve21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Doesn’t totally absorb the cost difference, but if half a bag of optisorb or 8822 lost during sifting, the actual price is doubled....just one more data point to consider.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maybe see if a local nursery can special order it for you. You might pay a higher retail price but you won't have to pay regular shipping costs.

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Doesn’t totally absorb the cost difference, but if half a bag of optisorb or 8822 lost during sifting, the actual price is doubled....just one more data point to consider.
That's a very good point I hadn't thought of. I just sifted a bag of NAPA 8822 and Optisorb and close to 1/3 was 1/16" or smaller. I do sift out the 1/16" but generally don't use it in my "normal" soil mix. I'll probably use it for seedlings.

Reactions: GGB

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I looked at the at the website and they listed a place about 6 or 7 miles from me. I went there, but they have not got any thing in for Spring yet. I did pick up some sulphar for fungi control to add to the copper and Dacinal I have on hand.

They listed a second place 5 1/2 miles from my parents, my brother worked there during college and met his wife there.

Will try again when there is not 15 inches of snow on the ground.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Very nice. I found a dealer for optisorb online that delivers free to me. Still a lot lost after sifting but very cheap.

The particle size on the DTE product looks very nice. But $46 after shipping is too much for me.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just a little follow up.

I sifted the 25lb bag today. I estimate I got 65%-70% 1/8" to 1/4" particles, 30%-35% particles over 1/4". I got maybe 1/2 cup of 1/16" particles, and maybe 1 1/2 to 2 cups of dust..
And what about 'friablility' - how easy is it to crush a DE stone between your fingers (dry versus wet) - can you crush it?

Captnignit

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
And what about 'friablility' - how easy is it to crush a DE stone between your fingers (dry versus wet) - can you crush it?

Speaking to Optisorb, you can crush it pretty easily between your fingers. Kinda reminded me of the consistency of drywall.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just picked up another two bags tonight :cool:

My experience has been similar: excellent particle sizes and nearly zero fines. I’ve been using this brand since 2014.

1F4585EA-4FCB-4DCE-98A7-AD9B3185068B.jpeg

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Looks nice. I don't get much waste with Optisorb though.
Yeah it looks the same size bag for 15-20 bucks a bag more. Nice but seems like a luxury.

Top Bottom