Do mame need to start in a grow out pot?

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I have a amur maple I'd like to use for a mame. I'm wanting to repot and chop it today, should it go into a bit bigger pot for grow out like a larger tree would? I have a shallow 3" pot that would work great but my little tree is only 1/2" or so at the base.
I really don't have anything smaller right now unless I chop down a 2" thumb pot but they are pretty flimsy.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Do you have any pics? i know amur maples get pretty coarse growth so i would see if you can fit it into the 3" pot to help try to keep it under control. how thick were you thinking about the trunk getting to?

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@GailC To clarify.
Is 1/2 inch your desired trunk thickness and you are ready for the fine twiggy growth? Bonsai!
Or are you wanting it to grow more than the 1/2 inch trunk?

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Yeah, the trunk size is pretty much where I want it. I went ahead and put it in the 3" pot and did a trunk chop. This particular maple isn't very good material, part of the trunk has died and the roots grew down instead of out. I cut quite a few roots too, good chance I'll kill it but its not a loss. If it survives, I'll do my best with it.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Regardless of the tree size, this order of operations is canon for bonsai…
  1. Grow some nebari and a trunk base
  2. Grow some taper into the trunk
  3. Grow out a first branch to the desired thickness
  4. Continue with ramification and your additional canopy branches
  5. Maintain ramification
So, yes, a grow out container would be good if your aim is some manner of nebari or trunk taper.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Thanks @parhamr
Hopefully I left enough roots to keep this thing going. There is more, slightly larger base under the soil but nothing to consider nebari.
Maybe I'll take a little air layer off a different amur for a mame, it would be easier and look better.

Attachments

• IMG_20170403_100837718_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170403_100837718_HDR.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20170403_100901106_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170403_100901106_HDR.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 53
Top Bottom