Disposable Protective Gear for Spraying & ZeroTol

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I have the gloves and mask already. Anyone know where you can purchase disposable plastic body cover online? Or the pesticide/fungicide Zero Tol? Thanks!

Attachments

• plastic.jpg
    plastic.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 42
Good grief! Your trees have Ebola or something?

Maybe you need to get a robot.

I think Walter White's estate may have some useful protective gear for you.

I would look at the personal protective equipment needed for spraying any chemical. There should be a material safety data sheet with your chemical. It will contain information for things like flammability, p.p.e.and first aid.

Ha ha! very funny! Love the show breaking bad btw. Yes, I recently had a long conversation with a buddy that graduated from Cal in Pest and Disease Mgmt. He talked to me about the long term effects of spraying, and said that if I planned to spray my trees every month and a half over a life time, then I should probably be wearing gear like this. I'm also the type of person that always tries to eat Organic aka the paranoid hippie tree hugging type.

Good for you!

As a safety professional I encourage every one to choose the proper PPE for any task.

As mentioned above be sure to get a Safety Data Sheet for any chemical that you use and read it in detail. Section eight of the Safety Data Sheet will tell you what PPE you need to use but read it all to be safe.

I am known to provide safety glasses to people that are useing die grinders to carve their bonsai so please keep that in mind too. Bonsai is a visual art and you need to keep your vision to enjoy it. :cool:

I hope this posting helps prevent injuries and exposure illnesses in the bonsai community.

Thanks for bringing this important topic up!

Bob O

Ha ha! very funny! Love the show breaking bad btw. Yes, I recently had a long conversation with a buddy that graduated from Cal in Pest and Disease Mgmt. He talked to me about the long term effects of spraying, and said that if I planned to spray my trees every month and a half over a life time, then I should probably be wearing gear like this. I'm also the type of person that always tries to eat Organic aka the paranoid hippie tree hugging type.

Stand as far away as possible while spraying is the biggest thing I could emphasize and know the cool down time for your chemicals. ZeroTol is safe basically as soon as it dries, everything else is typically 24hours before you should even be walking around what you sprayed. I use a polyester long sleeve button up shirt and make sure all skin is covered up. ZerTol is a very nasty chemical (hydrogen dioxide) but it basically just burns the heck out of you if you get it on you. I haven't read any studied on the long term exposure of that chemical.

Glyphosate and the catalyst they use with it (surfactan) are always popping up in the news and have been found in present in a lot of grocery store products. So be very careful with the herbicides they tend to hang around for a long time.

On a side note, here in Florida I see a lot of nurseries and how they operate. I know of several places that will literally be out spraying harsh chemicals in flip flops and a tank top... The main danger of these chemicals is long term exposure as you mentioned and even then your genetic predisposition to cancers etc will play a large roll in how it will effect you.

Finally if you have a small area you can buy an injector and inject all your chemicals directly into the irrigation. I'm strongly considering this in the future because it eliminates all chances of having any chemicals get on you. The bad part is you have to use enough chemical to treat that entire zone your injector is hooked up to.

Back
Top Bottom