Did I mess up?

Milesprice

Seed
Reaction score
How will this grow back?

I’m new to bonsai. I’m 17. My Dad got me this and I love it but it had a large branch that flew out that I kind of liked. But I had been told to cut it half way. So I did. I used the tools my dad gave be and I cut it as well as a smaller branch that was growing on top of said branch. I am concerned to how it looks now. Will it grow back and look good? Did I mess up cutting it? Is it gonna grow back similar to how it was before? Also any tips or advice? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_5789.jpeg
    IMG_5789.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5820.jpeg
    IMG_5820.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5818.jpeg
    IMG_5818.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 67
Welcome Aboard Bonsai Nut!

Jades bud well after pruning. So no worries. Actually as the tree is healthy, might as well trim the other running branches back inside the profile to even things out.

Also please enter your approximate location and USDA cold hardiness zone so we can better help you in the future. To do this double click on your icon atop the page, then account details and scroll down and enter this information

Cheers
DSD sends

You cannot hurt Portulacaria by pruning it. Pruning is very important to keep our bonsai in check. Without pruning you end up with long, straight branches and an untidy tree.
From what I can see you have done exactly the correct thing. AS DSD says, now it is time to trim some of the other longer shoots.

You can hurt the tree by watering it to much. The Jade likes to dry out somewhat and doesn’t stick around to long if sitting in soggy soil.

Back
Top Bottom