Delonix regia pruned too early

Reaction score
My delonix regia is about four months old and started to grow pretty wild. I did some research and pruned both the leaves and some of the branches. I'm afraid I did it too early, and I'm seeing some brown on the branches that were pruned back. The trunk is about an inch thick and browned/grew bark before the pruning, while the branches that were pruned are still a light green but brown near the pruning areas. I'm afraid I got bad advice - have I killed Frank?!?! (yes, I named my tree Frank). If I've harmed him, any suggestions on how to fix?

Attachments

• MicrosoftTeams-image (9).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (9).jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 14
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (8).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (8).jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 14

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
My delonix regia is about four months old and started to grow pretty wild. I did some research and pruned both the leaves and some of the branches. I'm afraid I did it too early, and I'm seeing some brown on the branches that were pruned back. The trunk is about an inch thick and browned/grew bark before the pruning, while the branches that were pruned are still a light green but brown near the pruning areas. I'm afraid I got bad advice - have I killed Frank?!?! (yes, I named my tree Frank). If I've harmed him, any suggestions on how to fix?
Your tree is a juvenile. Each of the thing you called branches was simply one compound leaf. By trimming off the leaves, those things will turn yellow and drop all the way back to the trunk in about 2-3 weeks. The next buds you see out of the tips will be crucial to the survival of your tree. Each bud will form another compound leaf. Let them grow. Don't prune or cut anything off this tree until the trunk get to about 1" in diameter. In a pot, that will take about 1 to 2 years depending on where you are.

PS: I don't know what research you did but the information that tells you to prune is absolutely wrong.

Top Bottom