Dealing with reverse taper on BC.

electraus

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi everyone, I have a reverse taper issue with my bald cypress that I’m not sure how to deal with. It had a whorl of branches coming from the same area near the apex, which caused severe bulging.

Im currently developing a new apex with one of the branches after pruning all of the others off but I feel like the bulging is still going to be very obvious despite the slanted trunk chop I have planned. I’ve attached pictures to show the problem area. How would you suggest I deal with this bulge?

Attachments

• IMG_3917.jpeg
    IMG_3917.jpeg
    255.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3916.jpeg
    IMG_3916.jpeg
    301.8 KB · Views: 92

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yep, it will be, if the choice is the raffia‘ed branch to be the new top and the three branches emanating from the other side are kept.

It’s really hard for me to tell where this design is going at this point. Not sure I would of used the new apex vs the central branch on the other side of that trunk, but the tree is not on my bench to see.

Also wondering about the other side, but that’s a whole ‘nother story.

There is a whole lot going on on both trunks that seem to be really busy in certain points for this stage of development.

imho something has got to go on the trunk in question. The easiest move is to lop something totally off….…the stump on the far side ….or the remove the entire apex and make something out of the stump by growing its top leader out and remove the rest.

In any event this is a multiyear job to let things grow out, even out and heal the big wound(s) that would that need to happen.

Good Luck!
DSD sends

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have done this quite a few times. Each and every time I create a new apex and leave one branch right at the cut, just like what you do in your picture, the result is a reverse taper. BC swells a whole lot at the cut, having an additional branch right at the cut push it over the top. I now chop and only leave one at the cut. I will develop a side branch after the cut has healed.
Not likely to have reversed taper if you do this.
1692647336542.png

Last edited:

electraus

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yep, it will be, if the choice is the raffia‘ed branch to be the new top and the three branches emanating from the other side are kept.

It’s really hard for me to tell where this design is going at this point. Not sure I would of used the new apex vs the central branch on the other side of that trunk, but the tree is not on my bench to see.

Also wondering about the other side, but that’s a whole ‘nother story.

There is a whole lot going on on both trunks that seem to be really busy in certain points for this stage of development.

imho something has got to go on the trunk in question. The easiest move is to lop something totally off….…the stump on the far side ….or the remove the entire apex and make something out of the stump by growing its top leader out and remove the rest.

In any event this is a multiyear job to let things grow out, even out and heal the big wound(s) that would that need to happen.

Good Luck!
DSD sends
Thanks for answering! Yeah the busy-ness is a result of this being more or less how this piece of material got to me (it was actually considerably busier believe it or not).

In regards to where the design is going, I’m going to be styling it in the flat top style although I’m not sure how much length I’m going to keep on the new apex once it thickens up, as it’s already a rather tall tree.

I’ll be doing a beveled chop of the part of the tree behind the red line in the picture I’ve attached here. I’m rather new to deciduous trees and building tapered trunks through repeated trunk chopping, so any input on this plan is more than welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_4070.jpeg
    IMG_4070.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 46

electraus

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have done this quite a few times. Each and every time I create a new apex and leave one branch right at the cut, just like what you do in your picture, the result is a reverse taper. BC swells a whole lot at the cut, having an additional branch right at the cut push it over the top. I now chop and only leave one at the cut. I will develop a side branch after the cut has healed.
Not likely to have reversed taper if you do this.
View attachment 504310
Sorry I think I’m having trouble understanding your response. My plan is to cut off the part you painted in white and leave the branch with raffia on it to develop as the new leader. Is this what you’re recommending as well?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ll be doing a beveled chop of the part of the tree behind the red line in the picture I’ve attached here.
Sounds good. I usually cut a tad wider than shown. One can always take off more later if needed, but it’s hard to grow back off cut too shallow..
I’m rather new to deciduous trees and building tapered trunks through repeated trunk chopping, so any input on this plan is more than welcome.
The apex will have to be built up to help heal the wound. Also allowing a branch to grow near the wound as suggested above will help.

As as far as styling goes @Cajunrider is the BC expert, so I’ll defer the styling suggestions to him. 😎

Cheers
DSD sends

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Sorry I think I’m having trouble understanding your response. My plan is to cut off the part you painted in white and leave the branch with raffia on it to develop as the new leader. Is this what you’re recommending as well?
Yes. The branch with raffia on it should be bent down to a slant. See this link for development idea for BC.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Sounds good. I usually cut a tad wider than shown. One can always take off more later if needed, but it’s hard to grow back off cut too shallow..

The apex will have to be built up to help heal the wound. Also allowing a branch to grow near the wound as suggested above will help.

As as far as styling goes @Cajunrider is the BC expert, so I’ll defer the styling suggestions to him. 😎

Cheers
DSD sends
Wrong!!!!
I am the resident BC hack. Experts are @johng, @BillsBayou, etc.
I am just to one who is crazy and will try anything.

Top Bottom