Dead or Still Dormant?

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So it's that time of year and things are starting to wake up in the garden. But there is always the inevitable late-sleeper and the dead ones. Question is when do we know the tree is dead and not still dormant? I don't find the "scratch test" very helpful. If the branches snap when bent a bit, I find that is a clear sign of deadness. My single crepe myrtle seems to be dead under this test. I also try to see what similar species are doing in my garden. For example, my tridents are all leafing out. But there is one that isn't doing anything. When do you throw in the towel with a specific tree?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have a crape myrtle yard tree that has yet to throw buds. The others have all been late.
I blame it on the shit weather we have had so far.
It has only been warm-ISH for a week. :mad:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So it's that time of year and things are starting to wake up in the garden. But there is always the inevitable late-sleeper and the dead ones. Question is when do we know the tree is dead and not still dormant? I don't find the "scratch test" very helpful. If the branches snap when bent a bit, I find that is a clear sign of deadness. My single crepe myrtle seems to be dead under this test. I also try to see what similar species are doing in my garden. For example, my tridents are all leafing out. But there is one that isn't doing anything. When do you throw in the towel with a specific tree?
Crape myrtles are among the last trees here to leaf out. They have just broken buds here. They require warm soil to trigger growth, since they are native to southern China and Korea, which are zones 7-9 comparatively. They really got going after a couple of days with temps in the upper 80's. Keep it around. It may not be dead. I give trees like yours until July to do something.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My landscape crape myrtle is always the last thing to wake up. My bonsai crapes didn't stir last year until June.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I can usually pick bead branches and trunks as the bark begins to wrinkle compared to healthy branches but I always give 'dead' trees until mid summer, even if all the others have leafed out OK. Sometimes they are just a bit late for one reason or another.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Crepe myrtle are one of the last to leaf out so I was warned as I own one. I had a friend who said his didn't leaf out until July.

I don't scratch test either. I patiently wait it out.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I see buds on the myrtle so it isn't dead. The trident maple is likely dead - my fault for having a tree delivered in winter from a warmer climate.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I see buds on the myrtle so it isn't dead. The trident maple is likely dead - my fault for having a tree delivered in winter from a warmer climate.
One of my crapes just started budding out, I repotted it yesterday. The other has actually leafed out, extremely early for here. Even my landscape ones are budding out thanks to a week in the high 70's. Todays high was 45. 🤬 Glad to hear yours survived.

gk11820

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
Very strange year for my crapes as well, some are still looking dormant, some fully leafed out and some just budding. Hoping the ones that are running behind aren’t dead.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sorry to hear that. Yeah... Especially where it's coming from. Those night Temps for the week it is in route are crucial.

But glad to hear the crepe is moving.

Top Bottom