Dawn Redwood Pruning Advice

Alittleoldman

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Recently purchased a Dawn Redwood and the main trunk splits into two near the top of the tree. Not sure which leader to keep. One branch is almost as thick as the trunk but has a curved movement. While the second branch seems to follow the straight path of the main trunk. I understand movement is good but not sure if this is appealing movement for a Dawn Redwood? Any advice? Should I keep both?

Attachments

• IMG_2145.jpg
    IMG_2145.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2144.jpg
    IMG_2144.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 99

Alittleoldman

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another possible idea I had was to turn the thicker right branch into a jin?

Bulletsdad

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Recently purchased a Dawn Redwood and the main trunk splits into two near the top of the tree. Not sure which leader to keep. One branch is almost as thick as the trunk but has a curved movement. While the second branch seems to follow the straight path of the main trunk. I understand movement is good but not sure if this is appealing movement for a Dawn Redwood? Any advice? Should I keep both?
I have the same question about one I just received from Brussel's Bonsai.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Personally I think that curved branch needs to go. The smaller branch will give it taper, which is the goal. The curved branch can be airlayered off to make a second tree with good movement down low.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome Aboard Bonsai Nut!

Looks like a regular meeting of branches atop that central tree!

You didn’t say what your design goal(s) and ultimate height are, so I’ll assume you are doing the common route of growing out the central trunk to get girth…. In this case it’s a bit too early for Jin’s…. but you can go ahead and do it if you want to get practice and remove it later as necessary.

Basically the goal is to get only one leader, narrower then the trunk at the top junction and remove all the rest nearby to create taper along the trunk. That includes removing the thicker side branches up top as these will only get thicker and create a swelling at the junction area.

The goal is to grow a trunk, with as much taper as possible…. not an easy task with any redwood……so keep branches that are not on the same level along the trunk and remove the rest.

As the remaining side branches thicken too much cut back each, leaving a 1-2” stub. Almost invariably other branches will form at the base of the stub. Choose one to be your new side branch and eventually remove the stubs.

One last thing. To help us provide contextual information to you, please double click on your icon atop the page. The click on account details, scroll down and enter your approximate location and USDA Plant Hardiness zone in the appropriate areas. Once done, this data will be on your icon (see @19Mateo83 ’s icon) and we can all see at a glance the basic information that will help us tailor advice.

Cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom