Dawn Redwood leaves turning brown

Reaction score
I am newbie to Bonsai Trees just got these Dawn Redwoods about 4 weeks ago. When I got them they were really green, I am Western PA and past week or so really got hit hard with High Temperatures in 90s. I was watering morning and night. Seems like each day I am getting more and more brown leaves. I don't know if its too much water, too much sun as they are in sunlight most of the day.

Can anyone please help with suggestions, I sure hope I don't lose these 3 trees.

Thank you
TomPXL_20240625_145602744.jpgPXL_20240625_145612338.jpg

Have had similar weather in northeast Ohio. My dawn redwood seems like it’s been ok even with hot weather. It does look like some of roots are exposed? Maybe you might want to keep this covered with soil but others with more knowledge might have better suggestions. As far as watering amount soil makes big difference. Even last week in 90’s I was watering once a day but have a bonsai soil that seems to hold moisture for at least a day before needing watering again.

The leaves/needles are burning up in the sun. Trees looks healthy to me. More shade or maybe reduce to a few hours a day. It’ll be ok but won’t recover fully until next season. The bald cypress and dawn redwoods I have planted for shade trees in my yard had an identical issue. Guy at the garden center said to wait it out. We did and this summer they’re all beautiful. I live in north central Iowa. Zone 5a. The few I’m growing for bonsai sit on the ground in what seems like soil that never dries out in an area that gets 4-5 hours of direct sun a day. Those I have to shade our house get west sun and soak light all day

Those trees are super fast growing too. Just my opinion but I’d get them in a larger orange terracotta pot. Maybe separate them too for now . I’ve known the species to be very resilient. You could probably slip pot them now since we’re only mid-summer. I’ll try and post a pic or two tomorrow

Dawn redwood love water. Almost as much as bald cypress.
The browned leaves are almost certainly a sign that they have not had enough water despite you watering twice a day.
A couple of possible causes:
  • It is a small pot with 3 young, active, water loving trees. Maybe the pot is not big enough to hold enough water right through a hot day. Try moving to part shade to reduce need for water and reduce evaporation. OR sit the pot in a container of water on hot days. I know that sounds contrary to most bonsai advice but these trees love water so unlikely to suffer from too much.
  • Dry soil can be hard to wet properly. Watering after a hot, dry day may only wet the outer edges. Even when you see water running out the bottom does not mean the whole root mass is wet. Either water several times a few minutes apart to allow the water to soak in properly or soak the pot in a container of water for 5 minutes or more to allow it to soak up water properly.
  • Sometimes the heat and low humidity is such that the tree cannot physically draw enough water through the roots even when water is available in the soil. Japanese maples frequently have this problem. Move the tree to afternoon shaded position to reduce water needs on hot afternoons.

My redwoods sit on the side of my garage (I know I need to weed :)) and only get a bit of sun each day. Not ready for full sun. It stays damp over there though. This is where I’m keeping everything this year I’m letting grow wild this year. The redwoods in the wood box were seedlings last summer only a couple inches tall. They’re very fast growing. The bald cypress in the black box was picked up from a farm store in my area for $36 and chopped. They both have similar watering needs. The trees in the ground have both doubled in size over the last year. Redwoods are easy to grow but they need space. You'll likely find yourself repotting them each spring due to root growth. For soil I took some of my wife’s succulent and cactus blend and mixed it 50:50 with generic potting soil. Drains wells but holds water enough they don’t dry out by the end of the day and I don’t have dry spots in the pots. I think finding a mix for each grow zone is a science

Attachments

• IMG_0284.jpeg
    IMG_0284.jpeg
    394.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0285.jpeg
    IMG_0285.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0287.jpeg
    IMG_0287.jpeg
    357.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0282.jpeg
    IMG_0282.jpeg
    392.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0283.jpeg
    IMG_0283.jpeg
    419.1 KB · Views: 14
You'll likely find yourself repotting them each spring due to root growth.
When I root pruned mine this past spring I was worried with how much I cut off as root system was not great or even. Has not seemed to skip a beat so must be as you mentioned fast growing roots.

I am newbie to Bonsai Trees just got these Dawn Redwoods about 4 weeks ago. When I got them they were really green, I am Western PA and past week or so really got hit hard with High Temperatures in 90s. I was watering morning and night. Seems like each day I am getting more and more brown leaves. I don't know if its too much water, too much sun as they are in sunlight most of the day.

Can anyone please help with suggestions, I sure hope I don't lose these 3 trees.

Thank you
TomView attachment 554058View attachment 554059
Plant them in the ground let them go crazy for a couple years then replant is a big pot (training pot) they will thicken up and you can train them only start downsizing pot once they are where you want them

Back
Top Bottom