Dawn Redwood — Advice Requested

Potato

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

New to the forum, and newer to Bonsai (several trees, all Juniper maintained for several years, and just getting back into it now). I took the plunge and purchased a one year old Dawn Redwood from a local bonsai store, Bonsai West. It was very healthy with a distinct lime green color. It was being grown in a green house. After bringing home, I repotted and left outside all day for past 4 day. I brought inside at night and kept in a garage until about 6 am due to frost warning. Watering every morning. The tree is in full sun and it has been warm here for past two day, about 65 degrees F. Some wind. This afternoon I returned home to find that some, not all of the “neeedles” are starting to turn slightly brown at the base.

The soil was prepared at the local bonsai nursery, Bonsai West. I did not fertilize. Soil is moist to beneath the top layer.

Any advice sincerely appreciated. I love this little tree and am hoping it will pull through.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
they are thirsty trees. If the soil mix is fast draining (and it should be) you probably can't over water it. They grow a couple feet a year so they probably don't make a great "small" tree. If you want any movement in the thing wire it while the grow is young/green/and flimsy

Potato

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you! I will water more frequently and see if that helps. You can get a sense of the browning I am seeing in the picture above. It is a sweet little tree that I repotted with my son, so fingers crossed!

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Potato
I am no expert with this type of tree but if it was in a greenhouse and now it is getting full direct sun it just might be adapting because of the harsher sunlight. On top of that you repotted which stressed the roots out some. Many advise to avoid direct sun after a repot.

My thought is it will pull through just be patient.

If you have questions contact Bonsai West. The owner used to teach a dawn redwood class. In fact i was going to enroll this yes but it was not offered.

Potato

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for taking the time to reply. We have had rain the past couple of days, and it may just be my impression, but it seems to be doing a little better. I was not aware of the guidance about avoiding direct sunlight following a repotting. For about how long should direct sunlight be avoided?

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for taking the time to reply. We have had rain the past couple of days, and it may just be my impression, but it seems to be doing a little better. I was not aware of the guidance about avoiding direct sunlight following a repotting. For about how long should direct sunlight be avoided?
I'd let an expert chime in here but I think the answer is...it depends. You are probably just looking to see some positive reaction from the tree.

Potato

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For anyone who is following, I spoke with Bonsai West today and they informed me that the bronzing is due to recent sun-filled days and wind and, as a result, the trees have a bit of sun/wind burn. Interestingly, he informed me that their own DRs have experienced the same issue. Remedy according to them is just to wait for the tree to “cycle through” and no need to remove from sun. Glad I asked and thanks for Coltranem’s suggestion to call them!

Top Bottom