Dav4's 6 year JBP contest thread.

Reaction score
With that amount of seeds, it would be interesting to put the floaters in a growing medium too. I suspect that some will germinate after all.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Well, it’s been a very cold March and early April here in north Georgia. I put off sowing the seeds until about two weeks ago. I don’t have any special tricks up my sleeve as far as starting the seeds… They’re placed in a concrete mixing tub with a mix of turfuce, bark, and pumice. I simply scattered the seeds on top of the soil mix and then covered them with a thin layer of sand. Anyway, they started to germinate. I’ve got to keep the germinating seeds covered with the screen… Lots of hungry critters and birds that would love to have some sprouts right about now.3CB7A2FF-D052-418A-8DAD-140ECE8E6FAE.jpeg74215209-725B-447D-A042-A2692150284F.jpeg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Aaaaaaand I leave the screen off the top of the container for two days and look what happens… Some cute woodland creature decides to use 1/4 of my seedlings to floss his teeth… grrrrrrr!
F66A0B01-1FE7-49BC-8893-729AAD1178B8.jpeg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Aaaaaaand I leave the screen off the top of the container for two days and look what happens… Some cute woodland creature decides to use 1/4 of my seedlings to floss his teeth… grrrrrrr!
View attachment 188797
Now if you were in Texas you could apply lead poisoning to that wood land creature! Actually some of the. Stems look like dampening off from too much humidity and not enough air movement. Is that silica sand? The presence of algae on the surface may indicate that the media is not drying enough between watering for pine seedlings.

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Actually, they were all uprooted and the roots munched on… If you look closely you can see some of the remaining roots. Yes that is silica sand… Everything just got sprayed with daconil As I did have a lot of damping off last year, but the seeds were much more crowded then ... Not a problem now since the seedlings have been thinned out a bit?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Actually, they were all uprooted and the roots munched on… If you look closely you can see some of the remaining roots. Yes that is silica sand… Everything just got sprayed with daconil As I did have a lot of damping off last year, but the seeds were much more crowded then ... Not a problem now since the seedlings have been thinned out a bit?
The reason i asked about silica sand is that it tends to be very regular in shape, providing less aeration, too much contact. I think you would have better luck with more irregular shaped sand. here i buy it at Home Depot as sterilized children's play sand. Little critters that pull out seedlings should be tracked down and eliminated! They are not allowed north of the border.

Reaction score
It's an indication you need to stick cuttings from them now... Surviving of the fittest.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Lilliputian foresters!

Top Bottom