Dan92119 JBP Contest Entry

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Seeds from Sheffield's. Going to give this a try! IMG_1966.JPG

I do have a question though: Every landscape pine and pines in a forest all seem to be dirty and sticky. Oozing sap. All the bonsai pines I have seen are nice and clean looking. How do I keep a pine clean and not sticky?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Bonsai Trees are clean, they go in the potty. Not sure why pines in your neighborhood stick. Is it a certain species? Might be aphids.

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don't prune pine when it is stil active growing. In winter no sap will flow when pruned. If you need to prune in summer leave large stumps and let them dry out. remove in winter

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
On 4/2 I finally got around to my JBP seeds. I have 62 seeds.
IMG_2150.JPG

IMG_2153.JPG
I soaked them for 24hrs.
IMG_2152.JPG
I have 7 floaters. More may have been good, but I have had the seeds sitting around for about 5 months. My fault. Ordered them too early.
IMG_2154.JPG
Now in the refrigerator. I will have to see how long they will stay there. If they germinate early I will pull them out.

Reaction score
Since it is late already I would skip the stratification. It's optional.

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Here is an update. I pulled 12 seeds out of the refrigerator on May 4th.
IMG_2183.JPG
Out of 12 seeds 6 grew, 5 survived.
IMG_2288.JPG
This is the rooting product that I use. I have had good luck with it for air layers
IMG_2287.JPG
Here are the pots that are ready for the cuttings. Its 8822, pumice and some Orchid seedling bark with sand in the middle
IMG_2289.JPG
Here they are all potted up.
IMG_2290.JPG
Its been about a week now. I think so far I will loose one, but not sure. Right now its all a learning experience for me so I am not too concerned. If I have success with these I will try other types of seedlings next year.

I pulled that last of my seeds out of the refrigerator around June 5th. For some reason I didn't take pictures of that planting. These seeds have a much better success rate. I haven't counted them how many are growing yet. I will take more pictures when I plant those up in pots.

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Update: From my first batch of 5 seed cuttings 3 have survived! :)

There are 20 seedlings in my second batch.
IMG_2479.JPG

These seedlings are much farther along than my other ones. Hoping for good luck. I made a slight change on how I cut the seedlings. I didn't pull the seedlings out of the sand to cut them. I just cut them about in the middle and left the roots in the sand. Curious if they will grow. No loss if they don't. All the cutting got the same rooting hormone as the others and planted in pots.IMG_2485.JPG
I know some might think this is late in the year to do the cuttings, but I probably have 2.5 to 3 more months in my growing season here. Should work out fine. I am very happy with what I am learning from all this!

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
IMG_3522.JPG

So here are the survivors! These have all been root cut a year ago. They are about 14 months old. They are so little! The tallest is about 2", shortest is 1/2" they have been getting fertilized regularly. The next picture is one of the above seedlings 14 months old on the left. On the right is for comparison, not root cut and only 3-4 months old! For me the root cutting was a big hit in growth. Maybe they will catch up? I probably should put a bit of wire on the young pines to get some good movement early. Not really a pine guy but its all good experience.

Top Bottom