Cypress or juniper?

boguz

Mame
Reaction score
Hi guys
I got this plant from a local nursey last week, as a juniper. But it also looks like hinoki cypress. Do you guys know it?
Thanks

20170312_152939.jpg 20170312_152943.jpg

boguz

Mame
Reaction score
Can it be chinensis juniper or sabina? Its leaves are too long

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
There is a false cypress native to the Mediterranean North Africa and a few places in Spain, it is in its own genus, and looks somewhat like your tree. It has been used as landscape material to a limited degree. Is this a tree you found in a wild area, where it is not likely to have been planted by man? or is it in a landscape where it could be an exotic from a nursery?

There is little limit to the possibilities if it was from nursery stock. Hard to tell from photos. Do you have local arborists, botanists or others who could see it and key it out?

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
There is a false cypress native to the Mediterranean North Africa and a few places in Spain, it is in its own genus, and looks somewhat like your tree. It has been used as landscape material to a limited degree. Is this a tree you found in a wild area, where it is not likely to have been planted by man? or is it in a landscape where it could be an exotic from a nursery?

Sounds like a tetraclinis articulata by your description, I have one, dying, but the OPs tree is not one of them I don't believe.

boguz

Mame
Reaction score
I actually got those 2 forgotten junipers and this little one from nursery. It was only one, and seller had no idea what are the species.

20170215_183028.jpg 20170215_183041.jpg
20170215_182944.jpg 20170215_182950.jpg

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Now that one looks more like the Tetraclinis a bit, it may just be a regular Cypress but it's leaves look a lot more like the one I have. They also go by the name Sandarac gum/tree as they are harvested for their resin.
Still I'm not 100 percent on this at all.

Top Bottom