Cypress? Help with ID and basic care

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

Hope everyone is doing well.

This post is not really related to bonsai or initial styling but I just found this little guy alone, in the shade with sparce foliage and couldn't resist..
In my quest to save every tree I see that are struggling and try as hard as I can to transform it into a jem, I brought this tree back home hoping my wife wouldnt file for divorce...

After a 15mins argument I can keep it after making all kind of promises!!
The owner was asking 25$... I will resale it and so on.

My horticultural knowledge is somewhat limited as Im a beginner so I would like your help on the identificarion of what I think is a Cypress or false cypress (Im a bit lost with this identification).
I hope the pictures attached will help you, I can provide more pictures if needed.

On the other hand I would like to have your advises in term of placement in my yard and particular care for the tree in its actual state.
I can provide various conditions in term of light density and duration so please feel free to suggest what would be best for this little guy in the coming weeks.

More on its current state:
I can tell you the substrate is fully organic.
Tree "seems" to be surviving but not thriving, foliage is sparce, dying here and there but there is also healthy foliage all around the tree.
No signs of fertilizer application.
Last repot date unknown
Age unknown
At 25$ let say the owner didnt had the full pedigree!

Here some pictures:
20220719_212432.jpg

20220719_222229.jpg

20220719_222250.jpg
20220719_222023.jpg
20220719_222047.jpg
20220719_222336.jpg
20220719_222057.jpg

Damaged foliage
20220719_222109.jpg

Soil surface
20220719_222152.jpg

After the tree is healthy I will start drawing my ideas of the first design.
I find it has potential for different styles!
Im sure I will have alot of fun working on this tree But nothing will be done until Im sure of its correct health condition.

Thanks again for your help and your time
Ugo

Attachments

• 20220719_222115.jpg
    20220719_222115.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 4

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think the owner got the better deal, but good luck nonetheless. Trunks are nice

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

Well the trunks other than the challenge this tree represent was the main reason I decided to bring it back!
Funny as it seems you just gave me another one as I will try to prove you wrong and bring it back to proper health.
Thanks for the luck, I will also need a bit of that too!

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Washington DC. DC ARBORETUM IS BEHIND MY HOUSE!
I have a tree that I purchased 3 years ago that was in the exact same shape as the false cypress you have. Mine is a golden mop false cypress. In that time, I have fertilized it heavy, repot it into better soil and did all the other stuff to get it healthy! Long story short, it has not back budded at all and only grows from the end of the branches. I cranked on the branches to bring the foliage closer to the trunk but it will never make a great bonsai. Anyway, remove the dead stuff for now and try to keep all of the foliage closest to the trunk. Next Spring, cut off bottom third of roots and get it into bonsai soil if it looks healthy. Let it recover and start fertilizing. See what happens from there. I too was lured by the beautiful trunks these guys have but you better believe it is almost impossible to get these guys to back bud. Good luck!

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I have a tree that I purchased 3 years ago that was in the exact same shape as the false cypress you have. Mine is a golden mop false cypress. In that time, I have fertilized it heavy, repot it into better soil and did all the other stuff to get it healthy! Long story short, it has not back budded at all and only grows from the end of the branches. I cranked on the branches to bring the foliage closer to the trunk but it will never make a great bonsai. Anyway, remove the dead stuff for now and try to keep all of the foliage closest to the trunk. Next Spring, cut off bottom third of roots and get it into bonsai soil if it looks healthy. Let it recover and start fertilizing. See what happens from there. I too was lured by the beautiful trunks these guys have but you better believe it is almost impossible to get these guys to back bud. Good luck!

Hi!

Thanks for all the infos above.
Knowing this I could use it to my advantage, the tree could be turned into a Chumono of about 30inchs with a literati style windswept?!
All of this will be considered in detail when the tree vigour is back but I start to see it!

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Washington DC. DC ARBORETUM IS BEHIND MY HOUSE!
Hi!

Thanks for all the infos above.
Knowing this I could use it to my advantage, the tree could be turned into a Chumono of about 30inchs with a literati style windswept?!
All of this will be considered in detail when the tree vigour is back but I start to see it!
Both good choices! Here's a picture of Sir Legs a Lot....Haven’t touched the foliage this year as I am planning to do a half bare root next year to get more of the original nursery soil out. Once I get all of the nursery soil out, I think I will begin actually trying to do a serious styling. 20220720_183037.jpg

Reactions: Ugo
Top Bottom