Crepe Myrtle Yamadori - branching/grafting advice

JustinSmith

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

This is my first bonsai project. I have a Crepe Myrtle that I collected from my Uncle's house when he sold it. The tree stood over 18 ft tall originally. I have continually cut back the trunk and roots over the past 4 years. I would now like to start training this tree and want to encourage branching in the lower section of the tree. The root system is healthy and has supported lots of shoots at the base of the tree. There are a handful of spots where branches are growing out of the larger trunk in the lower 10 inches or so but I would like to encourage growth throughout the rest of the trunk. I am open to advice as this is my first project.

Would y'all recommend grafting on a dwarf variety (red cherry dazzle) or even grafting on shoots from the same species (I have another plant with lots of shoots from a deadwood trunk from the same variety)? Where on the trunk would you suggest to graft on branches? What method should I use to graft? I've read that people have had success with thread grafting Crepe Myrtles, but again I'm open to advice.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Attachments

• BonsaiMyrtle.jpg
    BonsaiMyrtle.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 109
  • BonsaiMyrtle2.jpg
    BonsaiMyrtle2.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 110

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'd worry about the nebari first before getting started on the branches.

JustinSmith

Seedling
Reaction score
There is a great root structure and some gnarly features that don't show up in the picture. I have some of the nebari under the soil as it is potted now. Thanks for the feedback, definitely interested in branching and developing the canopy now.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is my first bonsai project. I have a Crepe Myrtle that I collected from my Uncle's house when he sold it.

I must say it is pretty cool it lives BUT where does it live? Very hard to comment without knowing your basic location ;)

Grimmy

JustinSmith

Seedling
Reaction score
I am in Charlotte, NC. Hardiness zone 7B / 8A based on USDA map.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Where to graft branches would depend on the base and the trunk both of which are obscured.

You could go either way, dwarf or regular for branches. I'd do regular with thread or approach grafts. I've started cuttings for root grafts this year. Could do branches if I need them next year.

JustinSmith

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Would it help if I cut back the shoots that aren't off the trunk? I don't necessarily need those, just keeping them on for health root growth. I could add another pic with more of the nebari showing as well.

Would love opinions on where to graft branches on.

JustinSmith

Seedling
Reaction score
Adding some images of the root structure.

Still interested in suggestions on where to graft on new branches ;)IMG_20170821_163327.jpg IMG_20170821_163347.jpg IMG_20170821_163354.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree has issues. The two big trunks have no shoots. Without getting growth on them cutting them off will need to happen. Can you say, "Big ugly scars?"

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Still interested in suggestions on where to graft on new branches ;)

Honest Up here I would not even consider grafting as Crepe don't need it. What I would suggest is taking off that large growth down to under one foot while dormant - even if you need a chainsaw... They throw a LOT of growth afterwards for you to work with. I am in Zone 6b and chop them almost to the ground on March 1st with great results based on what I have seen in Al and GA... Ours back bud from the base up and after only a few short years can look really nice - it is a Crepe - treat it so :)

Grimmy

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
The tree has issues. The two big trunks have no shoots. Without getting growth on them cutting them off will need to happen. Can you say, "Big ugly scars?"

I've been down that road w a large landscape Myrtle. My guess is that whatever this becomes, and it is a great start, will look a lot different in the end. I don't think they can heal wounds as large as cutting those trunks will leave, in my experience. I think there will be dead wood and holes involved in the end. Which is ok.

I agree with GL's grafting comment too. These throw so many shoots when pruned hard it's just a matter of waiting for one in the right spot, or figuring out how to use ones that are close.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been down that road w a large landscape Myrtle. My guess is that whatever this becomes, and it is a great start, will look a lot different in the end. I don't think they can heal wounds as large as cutting those trunks will leave, in my experience. I think there will be dead wood and holes involved in the end. Which is ok.

I agree with GL's grafting comment too. These throw so many shoots when pruned hard it's just a matter of waiting for one in the right spot, or figuring out how to use ones that are close.
I agree. Good growing.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't see a good Bonsai in this

The nebari is a long tall mass of exposed roots that needs to be put back in the ground

You have a huge dead stump as the main trunk with no branches above a couple inches up- can't graft onto dead wood, and there is zero taper or interest in the large trunk any way. It is too large to chop and CM are not trees that normally grow with a lot of deadwood- in Bonsai the shedding, varying colored bark is a big interest point. You don't get that on Dead wood!

I would let this one go man. Some trees just aren't meant to be Bonsai... find more suitable material...

The girth is the only appealing feature but with no reasonable branch structure or trunk to
Build off... unless you want to take on a 25 year project with a 5 foot tall Bonsai at the end, I just don't see anything here..

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I kinda disagree. Where there is wood there is hope, and there is a lot of wood here. The base of the thing has some flair, if not exactly a nebari. Mine was worse. And there are interesting shapes that can be carved and hollowed. I didn't exactly mean deadwood in my first post as in jin and shari - more like a lot of wood would have to die, and rot, and be carved out.

It's just going to take some time and imagination, as whatever trunk(s) and branches there will be have to grown from nothing. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but why not try?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Maybe I'm too optimistic

I think that's a proper dose of optimism!

Seems the roots ain't bad....
Until they get stuck in that pot!

And there seems a couple shoots in ok places on the older pic. Seems there could be more useable branches already.

@thumblessprimate1 isn't your big hunk of wood project a crape?

Bro...why is it in that nasty tapered pot?
That black thing looks so much more fitting.
Don't say the wife!
Round here we don't listen to wives, and make husbands do the hard chores!:p

For real, the only reason this project might not pan out...
Cuz that tree is pissed off at you for putting it in that godawful container!o_O

Sorce

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes @sorce. I do have a large Crape Myrtle in progress. It's growing well, and I really am not sure what to do with it as far as design yet. But no rush as I am building it from bottom up.

Anyways, now seeing the previous and new images from a desktop computer, the OP's crape myrtle doesn't look to be growing happily. Could it just be the timing of when the photo was shot? If it truly isn't growing strong, I'd get it in that direction first thing with a proper grow box. The base looks nice, but still lacks nebari. Once growing strong, more work could be done like top chopping and rootball reduction. Both would be fun with a chainsaw. Don't bother with branch grafting. There's so much other work to be done.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
t in that direction first thing with a proper grow box

I know you can lop crape roots pretty well right?

But that pot LOOKS constricting to me.

Like they are gonna jam up in there certain, they are aggressive roots Yes?

I'm a wee bit worried about drainage in that urn too.

Overall, I think this shows a promise near yours, though I don't recall your nebari, I agree with this one, at least to get one more unmoveable set of division off a couple of those cuts....

That my problem with the pot, it seems new roots won't have much room to run.

Not only that, but in a large flat, you could even peek dig and move new surface roots as the tree sits!

Sorce

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
My Crape Myrtle started out practically a stump. No nebari, and that's why I used a chainsaw to cut straight and flat a year after collection. Then, I secured the bottom to a piece of plywood. Will get a good look next year and be able to tell you more. I agree about the OP's pot not being conducive to the tree's development.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I don't see a good Bonsai in this

The nebari is a long tall mass of exposed roots that needs to be put back in the ground

You have a huge dead stump as the main trunk with no branches above a couple inches up- can't graft onto dead wood, and there is zero taper or interest in the large trunk any way. It is too large to chop and CM are not trees that normally grow with a lot of deadwood- in Bonsai the shedding, varying colored bark is a big interest point. You don't get that on Dead wood!

I would let this one go man. Some trees just aren't meant to be Bonsai... find more suitable material...

The girth is the only appealing feature but with no reasonable branch structure or trunk to
Build off... unless you want to take on a 25 year project with a 5 foot tall Bonsai at the end, I just don't see anything here..

need to open your eyes a bit - not anywhere close to a 25 year project - These grow at an incredible rate and I can see something in this. Material like this make you push yourself to find the image and work with what you have. I say 6 ish years and it would be something worth looking at. Keep it in a wide training flat or the ground to develop though - bonsai pot 3 years down the road maybe.

15 minutes thinking about this tree - hollow the main trunk out and graft, or cut back the second trunk an build like so. Make sure it's healthy first before you start any of this work.
IMG_20170821_163347.jpg

Top Bottom