Crape Myrtle Bonsai

Ty johnson

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bought this dwarf crape myrtle and was going to cut it back to about 6 inches and take off more then 1/3 of the root ball during the late fall when it was completely dormant. Do you guys think that will be fine or should I wait till spring to do all that pruning. Open to suggestion about styling too.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you lived a bit further south it could take it. However, if I were you I'd wait until spring. In the fall it will be storing energy to get it through the winter. It could probably take a hard prune but removing a third of the root ball is risky. Good luck.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'd do all the work in late spring. I might remove more than 3/4 of the roots then too.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you sure that's a dwarf?
Dwarf have TINY leaves.
That looks like a Tonto.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah it doesn't look like any of the dwarfs I'm familiar with either - not that it really matters. I would probably wait until spring and then I would be completely ruthless with the roots. In my experience they can take a drastic root prune and not even notice.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like those first three branches as a delicate swepper.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
wait till spring - repot into the ground or a large training flat, Chop at a 45 degree at the first branch and let it grow unchecked all year, fertilize well. Rinse and repeat for a couple years. Then year 3, repot and work roots,Then start branch structure next two years. Re post your tree along the way. ;) That should be a good rough first draft

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here different - longer narrow leaf, Dwarf Pomegranate - Punica granatum 'Nana'

IMG_1311.JPG
Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've had 2 of those since last year, but no blooms:(

You have to "inspire" them, I have another tiny one just starting to bud out. If they get an extended high level of humidity after a drier period they bust out blooms - no matter what size(obvious). The trick is to treat them with a spray fungal like Rose Shield when they first pop and get them out of the rain and humidity. If not the blooms drop, etc...

I have a single Green Cloud Texas Ranger that works similar even at a small size - should be at least a couple of flowers in a few days that I will post in Flowers 2017 when it does.

There are many plants you can train to bloom even in Winter as Azaleas and such, just takes a bit of time talking to greenhouse growers that do it. Honest - it is far easier then most think.

Grimmy

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
The boils from the new growth on pomegranate. Do you prune the new shoot.
Sorry for hijacking your thread Ty.
Nope, never been pruned. Still in the nursery pots, and left to grow as instructed by Zach Smith in the Dwarf Pom thread I posted this spring, I think.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Great information as always, very helpful. But are you sure you don't have a bag of magical pixie dust you just sprinkle on everything? ;)

No, as I have mentioned a LOT of times concerning a wide spectrum of plants it is far simpler then many think in the Northern regions and is often ignored - fact is I can and do post pictures and explain why... Even in the Serissa thread I show and explain I killed 13... I perhaps have to much time? Dunno, I just like to share what works :rolleyes:

Grimmy

Ty johnson

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you sure that's a dwarf?
Dwarf have TINY leaves.
That looks like a Tonto.
It's a dwarf. It's called a pink velour I'm pretty sure and it says on the growers tag it will only grow 2-3 ft. The leaves are a lot smaller in person, especially compared to a crape tree

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
No, as I have mentioned a LOT of times concerning a wide spectrum of plants it is far simpler then many think in the Northern regions and is often ignored - fact is I can and do post pictures and explain why... Even in the Serissa thread I show and explain I killed 13... I perhaps have to much time? Dunno, I just like to share what works :rolleyes:

Grimmy
I was just teasing. You explain and instruct and show the results in great detail, which I am sure is appreciated very much by everyone you take the time to help. Especially me.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a dwarf. It's called a pink velour I'm pretty sure and it says on the growers tag it will only grow 2-3 ft. The leaves are a lot smaller in person, especially compared to a crape tree
Total Boo man! Pink Velour is positively not a dwarf and they have reddish branching.
Pink Velour grow 10-12 FEET high. Potentially larger in the right condition.
image.jpeg

Top Bottom