Craigslist Azalea

BonsaiMobius

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi, All. I am starting a thread for this azalea that I got on craigslist. Someone had dug up several of them and were giving them away for free. I only had the opportunity to take one but I grabbed the biggest one there. Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures of it before I started working on it but I did get one of all the foliage that was cut off. Do you think I should go lower on the chop?

IMG_2798.jpg IMG_2799.jpg IMG_2800.jpg IMG_2802.jpg IMG_2804.jpg IMG_2805.jpg IMG_2806.jpg IMG_2807.jpg IMG_2808.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2797.jpg
    IMG_2797.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 5

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks good!

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've heard conflicting advice on cut paste. Some say it isn't needed and others say you must do it? Is there a source of truth on this subject?
It's about as controversial as the Great Soil Debates. I'm a Sealer for the most part.

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've heard conflicting advice on cut paste. Some say it isn't needed and others say you must do it? Is there a source of truth on this subject?
For azaleas, it's best to seal cuts even if it's only yellow glue. Didn't used to seal azalea cuts, but 15, 18 years ago started sealing them.............marked improvement in healing over. That is to say ,cuts over an 1/8 of an inch.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

It is always anecdotal evidence from bonsai hobbyists based on what Japanese grandmasters do, vs modern horticulture insights that discarded the idea of using cut paste based on scientific insights in plant physiology. In the end the pro-cut paste argument comes down on that bonsai are different from all other plants. So we falsely used cut paste on all plants, but just for bonsai, by accident, it turned out to be the correct treatment, even though the ideas behind using cut paste were wrong. And the reasons for doing is personal observations. People didn't use it at first, and had a few plants die. Then they became more serious growers and became more skilled, and also started using cut paste, and less trees died. So they conclude the cut paste must be the reason.

People that agree on usage of cut paste disagree on what cut paste to use and what it protects the plant against. Even if they are correct, they don't have a strong argument. It is basically 'better be safe than sorry', but that ignores the harm cut paste may do.

The main issue with your tree is that you left no leaves at all. Apparently in Japan they can often get away with this because of their hot humid summers. If you have weather were growth is less vigorous, or dry weather Californian/Mediterranean weather, this is not safe to do. Not sure if this is completely correct, but it makes some sense. If the tree grows too slow to put out new growth, with new leaves maintaining a water column inside the plant, before the tissue dries out, I can see how it can die.

BonsaiMobius

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Could be rocks to lol up to the op to tell us lol
oh looks like just rocks, you good!

Thanks guys, it is kanuma on top, but most of the soil in the pot is boons mix.

When I potted it up, I did not have any Kanuma on hand so I used boons mix. However, when I was watching Peter Warren on Bonsai Mirai recently, he said that a mix of akadama, pumice and lava rock is not your best bet and that you should really go with only kanuma.

Having just barerooted it and potted it, I didn't want to repot it again. So I dumped the loose soil that would come out and filled it in with kanuma.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cool so it was a good eye lol
To me it looks like a happy plant !

I have a seringa vulgaris dwarf in such a pot but i filled 50% of it with big rocks at the botom so that there isnt so much soil in there so it doesnt stay to wet to long maybe something to take in mind when there is no propper pot around for something :D

Top Bottom