Cotoneaster Dammeri "Royal Beauty" brown leaf tips

Mikea454

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I purchased this cotoneaster dammeri from a local garden shop several weeks ago. it looked in great health and was happily situated in a alley between buildings at the store. within 3 days of bringing it home a bunch of leaf tips turned brown and crispy. I positioned the plant to get a similar amount of direct afternoon sunlight and indirect light through the day as it had at the store. The distribution of them is even across plant, and less than 5% of the leaves were 'burned'. We did have a particularly hot sunny day and I did come home to an inch or two of top soil being dry. I was sure l to keep it watered after that, but likely overcompensated. Despite the change in hydration, it continued to look worse for the following week so I moved it to mostly shade.

Since I moved it to the shade I think it has IMPROVED. I placed a humidity tray underneath and I have been careful to not overwater it, infact I haven't watered it other than rain. it seems to retain water much more than the first few days I had it despite some more equally hot days.

1. What did I do wrong?
2. where to go from here, I assume it should moved into more sun at some point?

Thank you

Attachments

• 20240627_182138.jpg
    20240627_182138.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 19
It looks like it just got too much sun too fast. I would slowly every week or so start putting into more sun. The tips are the new growth and so they are the most tender and vulnerable to the sun.

ty, didn't expect new england sun to be too much for them. I'll slowly get them exposed. should I put them under a shade cloth?

ty, didn't expect new england sun to be too much for them. I'll slowly get them exposed. should I put them under a shade cloth?

Yeah if you have one. They work great. It should be able to handle sun once it is adjusted. I have a small cotoneaster in full sun and I live in Utah so they can handle sun once they are adjusted.

Back
Top Bottom