Cotoneaster acutifolius

fgraha1

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been growing a cotoneaster acutifolius hedge (in Montreal Canada). Unfortunately, although it has been growing for years, the hedge is not very thick, and has some bare areas in the lower part of the hedge.
What strategies can I use to make it thicker and should I consider using a fertilizer?

Thank you.

Would you be able to take a few pictures? It's hard to give specific advice without seeing what you're working with first.

Hi,
Of course.
Here are a few pictures.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4127.jpg
    IMG_4127.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4128.jpg
    IMG_4128.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4130.jpg
    IMG_4130.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4129.jpg
    IMG_4129.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 34
I'd cut it all back to the ground in spring and jam all the cuttings in the soil too.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Thanks for the advice!
Would planting a second row of cotoneaster in front help?
Best regards.

Hedges don't grow into a hedge shape by themselves. Cut it to the ground, shear it several times a year at 6", then 10" the next year, then 12", 14", 15", 16", ad infinitum. The sides of the hedge will not grow (fill in) as well as the top. The south will grow OK, west next in niceness, east not as nice, and north not well at all. So, top flat; south at vertical, 90°; west +10°, east +15°, north +25°...
hedge angles.jpg

Hedges don't grow into a hedge shape by themselves. Cut it to the ground, shear it several times a year at 6", then 10" the next year, then 12", 14", 15", 16", ad infinitum. The sides of the hedge will not grow (fill in) as well as the top. The south will grow OK, west next in niceness, east not as nice, and north not well at all. So, top flat; south at vertical, 90°; west +10°, east +15°, north +25°...
View attachment 396591
Thanks so much Forsoothe!

Back
Top Bottom