Corvallis Oregon Bonsai Supplies

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am going over to Corvallis this Friday for a funeral. I need some soil amendments like pumice and lava. Is there any place over there to get these items? Thanks in advance!

I am going over to Corvallis this Friday for a funeral. I need some soil amendments like pumice and lava. Is there any place over there to get these items? Thanks in advance!

If you are heading into the Willamette Valley via I-84 and thus via the Portland metro, stop by Pro-Gro Mixes and Materials (26045 SW Grahams Ferry Rd, Sherwood OR). It's right next to I-5 as you're heading out of the metro, so it's easy to do a quick stop on your way through the region.

Go into the sales office at the parking area and take a quick look at the samples they have. There are one or two pre-sifted pumice options and they're both decent!

Then tell the sales clerk how many gallons of which aggregate you want to order. She'll let their yard person know you're coming and tell you where to go. Back your car/truck up there, chat with the yard guy to verify details and show your receipt, then he'll do all the shovelling/loading for you if you need assistance (pumice will be much heavier this time of year!).

For reference, last time I was there in mid-winter, I got 50 gallons for 25 bucks, and was in and out in 5 minutes. Don't forget to bring some large plastic tubs. Mine still had the stickers on them from home depot so I knew exactly how many gallons each tub could hold, so it was easy to tell the clerk how much I wanted to buy.

If you are heading into the Willamette Valley via I-84 and thus via the Portland metro, stop by Pro-Gro Mixes and Materials (26045 SW Grahams Ferry Rd, Sherwood OR). It's right next to I-5 as you're heading out of the metro, so it's easy to do a quick stop on your way through the region.

Go into the sales office at the parking area and take a quick look at the samples they have. There are one or two pre-sifted pumice options and they're both decent!

Then tell the sales clerk how many gallons of which aggregate you want to order. She'll let their yard person know you're coming and tell you where to go. Back your car/truck up there, chat with the yard guy to verify details and show your receipt, then he'll do all the shovelling/loading for you if you need assistance (pumice will be much heavier this time of year!).

For reference, last time I was there in mid-winter, I got 50 gallons for 25 bucks, and was in and out in 5 minutes. Don't forget to bring some large plastic tubs. Mine still had the stickers on them from home depot so I knew exactly how many gallons each tub could hold, so it was easy to tell the clerk how much I wanted to buy.
Thanks for the help. Does this place have any other amendments like lava do you know?

Thanks for the help. Does this place have any other amendments like lava do you know?

I really wish I had checked more thoroughly when I was there. They claim to have a lot of other raw materials, but don't explicitly list lava on their website. I would give them a call during business hours as they seem to have someone right at the phone most times of day and were very friendly/approachable to me -- didn't seem to have any issues with small questions or small orders.

That Nash Crater looks like it might be on the McKenzie pass road. Closed this time of year because of all the snow and they do not plow it in the winter. Plus, with the price of fuel, I can have pumice shipped from Hess Pumice in Southern Idaho for a lot less that the cost to drive over there and back.

I did make it to Corvallis over the weekend. Pretty over there with all the new greenery and loads of trees blooming. We are still in the dormant stage here so a nice change. There are so many very different trees that grow over there compared to here.

I had time to check out Garlands Nursery. Really nice set up and you are lucky to have that. It was absolutely packed with people and they had someone directing the parking in the lot. They even had some pretty nice bonsai trees, pots, etc. I bought a small pre-bonsai Mt Hemlock. There were other interesting pre-bonsai like Spaan's Dwarf pines, but all grafted, so I passed.

Pinus contorta ‘Spaan’s Dwarf Shore Pine​

Are any of these available that are not grafted? I saw several there that were very nice!

I called around and didn't find any bagged or bulk pumice or lava except in very small bags.
Thanks for suggestions and help.

That Nash Crater looks like it might be on the McKenzie pass road. Closed this time of year because of all the snow and they do not plow it in the winter. Plus, with the price of fuel, I can have pumice shipped from Hess Pumice in Southern Idaho for a lot less that the cost to drive over there and back.

I did make it to Corvallis over the weekend. Pretty over there with all the new greenery and loads of trees blooming. We are still in the dormant stage here so a nice change. There are so many very different trees that grow over there compared to here.

I had time to check out Garlands Nursery. Really nice set up and you are lucky to have that. It was absolutely packed with people and they had someone directing the parking in the lot. They even had some pretty nice bonsai trees, pots, etc. I bought a small pre-bonsai Mt Hemlock. There were other interesting pre-bonsai like Spaan's Dwarf pines, but all grafted, so I passed.

Are any of these available that are not grafted? I saw several there that were very nice!

I called around and didn't find any bagged or bulk pumice or lava except in very small bags.
Thanks for suggestions and help.
No, it is open and it is on hwy 20.

Note: The Nash crater is for lava particles, not pumice. Hess doesn't have that.

Are any of these available that are not grafted?

You will never find a non-grafted "spaan's dwarf", that's not technically possible. All spaan's dwarf pines are clones of a single individual and not propagated by seed. Even their own seeds will yield something different from the cultivar. This is the nature of all cultivars.

Also before I forget, August, it sounds like you haven't yet had the pleasure using ODOT's very useful road conditions website, TripCheck: https://tripcheck.com/

On this site you can pan and zoom to highway 20 and see that currently, roads there are open, dry, and clear of snow. Hope this helps on future journeys and possibly even wild-collecting outings.

You will never find a non-grafted "spaan's dwarf", that's not technically possible. All spaan's dwarf pines are clones of a single individual and not propagated by seed. Even their own seeds will yield something different from the cultivar. This is the nature of all cultivars.

Replying to correct myself before anyone jumps on this technicality --

If you want a Spaan's dwarf without a graft, buy one. Then air layer it. Air layers on pinus contorta work just fine. I have done it, you need two (or perhaps even three, depending on size of cloned material) autumns to do it, but it 100% works. This is the way to get a spaan's dwarf, chief joseph, or whatever other p. contorta cultivar without a graft at the base.

I’m out that way often. Do I just go to a ranger station for a legit permit? Or is there an online area? I’d prefer to keep it legit to avoid hassles

Back
Top Bottom