Cork Oak Prebonsai!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all,
I got this one from Ota sensei in 2009. It was more than 10 years old seedling at that time. I changed its soil in 3/2010.
I am in the mood to show it today :)
Any comment is always welcome.
Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_2603.jpg
    DSC_2603.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC_2607.jpg
    DSC_2607.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC_2609.jpg
    DSC_2609.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC_2610.jpg
    DSC_2610.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 247

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its bark!
Oops, is it keloid or what else?
Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_2611.JPG
    DSC_2611.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC_2612.JPG
    DSC_2612.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC_2604.JPG
    DSC_2604.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC_2605.JPG
    DSC_2605.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 228

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Merry Christmas Bonhe! But you forgot to get me a present.:(. That's ok, I will just take one.:)

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Very nice! Elliot has a very nice cork oak that Ota grew from acorn I believe

elliott

Yamadori
Reaction score
your oak

Bonhe
Nice tree. Usualy cork oaks are pretty straight, so when you get one with movement, it's a keeper.
The fissures on the trunk are where growth is happening. When the tree grows and puts out new corking, you get this fissuring. In a few months it will turn grey and blend in with the rest of the bark.
The swelling or wart like ball growing is a gall. It means that probably a tiny wasp has laid an egg, and the tree has grown tissue around it to isolate it in case of a disease or irritation. Similar to a pearl in an oyster from a grain of sand. It can happen to many kinds of trees, but its very common in oaks.
Your tree is either growing under or near a big native oak or was in the recent past. Ted Matson sold me a nice live oak that was full of galls from the big live oak in his yard. I cut the galls off, and since I have no native oaks growing near me, it has not returned.
Please relax, its perfectly harmless. Sometimes they even give an oak a wild character. It will not harm your tree or any others in your yard. If it bugs you, just cut it off.
Is the the person you got the tree from Richard Ota, who currently lives in Riverside Ca?
He is know for cork oaks and pomagranites.
I have a huge cork oak that Richard planted as an acorn along with a few others in the mid 50's. It's gonna be one of the best around when I get the foilage developed again. This tree was being showed in the 70's and 80's, but then had some problem and most branches died back. I am in the process of re-developing it. It's got super old looking corking. The other oaks Richard planted at that time have not survived, and it makes this one very special and I'm very lucky to have it.
Please take care of yours well. Someday it will be a piece of Bonsai history in the USA and California especialy.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
LOVELY tree but it is overdue for a smaller pot, isn't it?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Really special tree. I have been looking for an oak for a couple years, they are hard to find nice ones of pre-bonsai type.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks all for yours kind responses.
Merry Christmas Bonhe! But you forgot to get me a present.:(. That's ok, I will just take one.:)
Thanks Si. Merry Christmas. I think I gave you one of cork oak seedling, did I? :eek:

Bonhe
Nice tree. Usualy cork oaks are pretty straight, so when you get one with movement, it's a keeper.
The fissures on the trunk are where growth is happening. When the tree grows and puts out new corking, you get this fissuring. In a few months it will turn grey and blend in with the rest of the bark.
The swelling or wart like ball growing is a gall. It means that probably a tiny wasp has laid an egg, and the tree has grown tissue around it to isolate it in case of a disease or irritation. Similar to a pearl in an oyster from a grain of sand. It can happen to many kinds of trees, but its very common in oaks.
Your tree is either growing under or near a big native oak or was in the recent past. Ted Matson sold me a nice live oak that was full of galls from the big live oak in his yard. I cut the galls off, and since I have no native oaks growing near me, it has not returned.
Please relax, its perfectly harmless. Sometimes they even give an oak a wild character. It will not harm your tree or any others in your yard. If it bugs you, just cut it off.
Is the the person you got the tree from Richard Ota, who currently lives in Riverside Ca?
He is know for cork oaks and pomagranites.
I have a huge cork oak that Richard planted as an acorn along with a few others in the mid 50's. It's gonna be one of the best around when I get the foilage developed again. This tree was being showed in the 70's and 80's, but then had some problem and most branches died back. I am in the process of re-developing it. It's got super old looking corking. The other oaks Richard planted at that time have not survived, and it makes this one very special and I'm very lucky to have it.
Please take care of yours well. Someday it will be a piece of Bonsai history in the USA and California especialy.
Thanks for information, Elliott.
Yes, my sensei is Richard Ota. I love to see your tree, so that I can let my sensei know. Mr. Ota also specializes in tamarix, crabapple and JBP. Believe me, I have kept some of used to be Mr. Ota trees very well in my yard.

LOVELY tree but it is overdue for a smaller pot, isn't it?
Because I still want to train its branches, the large pot is OK for now. However, I plan to put it in the large clay pot next year.

Really special tree. I have been looking for an oak for a couple years, they are hard to find nice ones of pre-bonsai type.
Mr. Ota still has about 5-6 large cork oaks in prebonsai phases!
Bonhe

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Very nice tree. Please post updates as it develops.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all,
I got this one from Ota sensei in 2009. It was more than 10 years old seedling at that time. I changed its soil in 3/2010.
I am in the mood to show it today :)
Any comment is always welcome.
Bonhe
Any updates? This a great tree. I am trying to decide on my next purchase....... I have a cork oak I have been eyeing for months!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Taper taper taper taper taper....

Sorce

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for asking every one.
I transplanted it to the current pot few years ago. It has been doing fine.
This picture was taken on 8/6/17. Sorry for the bad background.
IMG_3202.JPG

The scar .
IMG_3204.JPG

Bonhe

Top Bottom