Coral bark Japanese maple

Rod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can a coral bark Japanese maple survive on its own roots easily? I want to air layer it and also trunk chop it making 5-6 trees out of it. IMG_2178.jpegIMG_2177.jpeg

Depends on which cultivar you have. Some are easily air layered while some maples are impossible or difficult to air layer.

It is a Acer palmatum sango kaku

Ok I’m not really seeing a whole lot of good stuff on this tree for bonsai. As this is the first Japanese maple I’ve bought, is this tree worth the fight to bonsai it? Most of my collection is Trident Maples which I love. If any of you had this tree would you add it to your collection or just plant it in the garden and let it grow into a beautiful tree?

I'd plan both. In the yard it will grow to a rather large tree, 20-30' tall, so beware.

Mirai just sold 2 sango kaku that have been on their own roots for over 40 years. Ryan also mentions on the stream that he has a big one in his nursery that he plans on air-layering. I would plant it in the ground, and wire some movement into branches you plan to air-layer. Beware, in the ground, they do grow strong, so keep a close eye on the wire, coral bark with wire scars don't heal well.

Back
Top Bottom